Please Help!

Decorating By hayley89 Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 1:03am by howsweet

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:37am
post #31 of 40

Hmmmm....  it still sounds a bit suspect.

I've done cakes where I've noticed after I've delivered them that I didn't stack them perfectly centrally....  none have ever fallen, though (thank heavens!!!!)

Had the OP "just" been told the cake fell, then maybe that would be believable.  But to be told that the WHOLE THING was raw, too?  Nah....  someone is really trying to make sure that there was an excuse why none of the cake was served.

hayley89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hayley89 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 8:41am
post #32 of 40

AThe ribbon was done after each cake was put on, so this was done before the entire weight was on it and it was by fault of my own on the second and top tier. I knocked the second tier ribbon inwards slightly and on the top tier i think i secured it too tight as it leans in slightly at both sides not just the left. I can completely see what you are saying though and maybe it wasnt 100% perfectly level but i dont think every cake would be next to a computer drawn square especially given the angle of the photo is not entirely head on. Given we were there for three hours though without the cake budging i dont believe that an hour later this slight out of line would cause the cake to fall an hour later. We used wooden dowells throughout as in all of our tiered cakes, again with no problems before. If tey had come to me and said the cake had fallen and through this was inedible i would take your point willingly but to me, them using the fact all tiers were 'raw' is a blaitant cover up to the fact that they have caused it to fall and are trying to put the blame on us x

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 10:29am
post #33 of 40

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I read all the way through this hoping someone else had mentioned it looks like the cake is leaning to the left.... Look at the ribbon at the base of the bottom two tiers. It is distinctly bowed inward on the left hand side. And the top two tiers are not square. I can also see the cake behind the fondant. It is beautiful, but it does look like there are some structural problems. 

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3078904/] [/URL]

Just based on this pic, if it were me, I would not be surprised the top two tiers came off, and I would refund  at least 50% of the order. Probably all of it, really. But them saying the cake was raw is highly suspect, for sure. 

Good catch Annabakescakes!!!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 10:31am
post #34 of 40

detective.gif judge.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 12:52pm
post #35 of 40

AFor me, I will never use dowels ever again. For some reason they tend to shift if the cake isn't set on perfectly straight. Maybe it is the displacement of cake? With bubble tea straws, they are bigger around and they cut the cake, leaving it compacted inside the straw and I think they are a lot more secure. I used dowels for 10 years, bubble tea for the last 2. I have never had one tip, and they state upright quite easily as you press them in.after using them, then using dowels again, I could feel the dowel going lopsided and I had to make an effort to keep it straight. And now I feel them rock a bit with the squished cake under them. The bubble tea sit flat without that bit of rocking.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 12:57pm
post #36 of 40

AStupid autocorrect. They STAY upright.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm certain it fell, I just would not be shocked. And I noticed it was leaning before I drew the lines, I drew the lines to point it out to you. I can tell when a cake is leaning from a mile away. I straighten pictures at the Dr.s office, and even at the monument place where we picked out a grave marker on Saturday. I notice crooked like other people notice naked, lol.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 1:03pm
post #37 of 40

Have to go with Anna on this one. I could see maybe one ribbon being indented before you stacked the cakes...but 3 where they look like they are folding in upon themselves? Nope...but it did not appear raw to me in the pics. Maybe they just have never seen a moist cake.

TMC22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMC22 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 9:58pm
post #38 of 40

Defo sounds 'off', you should ask for evidence of the 'raw' cake, You cant get a refund on a top you bought at the shop by saying it wasnt suitable so I binned it. There shouldnt be any difference with the cake. Im doing my first ever wedding cake for a friend of mine and I am already nervous about it, but what I have learnt from this is to actually take a photo of the finished cake in situ at the venue. Dont give yourself a hard time, your cake looks fab and Im sure would have tasted so to. I am sure your business will continue to thrive.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 12:23am
post #39 of 40

AYou've been paid right? Then let them worry about it, you have photographic proof that the cake was cooked, anyone who knows even a little about cake knows you couldn't even cut it into two layers if it wasn't cooked. There's no way you could have stacked it, decorated it and had it stand solidly for 3 hours if it was raw.

What are they going to do if you don't give them a refund? Sue you? They'd need proof to do that and so far they haven't given you any.

I don't understand why they waited two weeks to contact you. Surely they'd have called you on the night or at the least the next day if they couldn't even serve a single slice.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:03am
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Stupid autocorrect. They STAY upright.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm certain it fell, I just would not be shocked. And I noticed it was leaning before I drew the lines, I drew the lines to point it out to you. I can tell when a cake is leaning from a mile away. I straighten pictures at the Dr.s office, and even at the monument place where we picked out a grave marker on Saturday. I notice crooked like other people notice naked, lol.

Haha! I'm like that too. Once I had a pier and beam house leveled and it was awful. So then I hired another company who couldn't get it right either. Both companies insisted the house was level. It drove me crazy. Finally I rented some jacks, hired some workers and leveled it myself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%