Which Ganache Tastes Better With Rv?

Baking By AmbitiousBeginner Updated 18 Aug 2013 , 4:43am by crnewbold

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 7:52am
post #1 of 12

I'm baking a RV cake that is going to be outside for a little while, so I don't think I should use a cream cheese based filling.

I want to try it with a ganache.  I am leaning towards a white chocolate ganache because I normally put white chocolate in my cream cheese filling and love the taste.  But, I've also had RV cake balls that were dipped in chocolate that were delicious, so I'm tempted to make a milk chocolate ganache.

Since I'm baking it tomorrow for my son's baptism, I don't have time to taste test.

What is everyone's opinion/preference?

Does red velvet taste better with white chocolate or milk chocolate ganache?

Thanks!

11 replies
Sweetness80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetness80 Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 8:06am
post #2 of 12

ATry with fondant chocolate!...it's really delicious!

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 8:26am
post #3 of 12

Did you mean chocolate fondant?

I do make my own MMF.  I have a recipe for white chocolate MMF, which only calls for 1oz. of white chocolate added to my regular recipe (16 oz. mini marshmallows, 2 lbs. powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp. water, 1oz. white chocolate)  I've never made it.  How would the added chocolate change the MMF?  I don't want to run into problems at the last minute.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 10:09am
post #4 of 12

look up a recipe...you use coco powder I believe in the place of some of the powdered sugar

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 11:17am
post #5 of 12

I think the OP was asking about fillings for her cake that will be stable outdoors in the heat to replace a cream cheese filling.  Why not just use vanilla buttercream?  Or your white chocolate ganache would be yummy, I am sure!  My personal preference - the chocolate filling might be too different than what people are used to having in a RV cake and they may not like it.  I'm not a fan.  But that's just MHO.

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani1081 

I think the OP was asking about fillings for her cake that will be stable outdoors in the heat to replace a cream cheese filling.  Why not just use vanilla buttercream?  Or your white chocolate ganache would be yummy, I am sure!  My personal preference - the chocolate filling might be too different than what people are used to having in a RV cake and they may not like it.  I'm not a fan.  But that's just MHO.

That is what I'm looking for.  I didn't want to use any bc because I don't want it to get too soft outside. I thought the ganache would be better for outdoors and taste. 

I was also leaning towards the wc because it looks more like what people are used to, but didn't know if it would have enough flavor.  I've never made the wc ganache.  Also, when I made the chocolate ganache I used chocolate chips.  And the wc chips say "morsels" so it doesn't sound like it's actually white chocolate.  I think that could make a difference.  May need to buy a bar of real white chocolate.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 12

I think the southerners use a cooked flour frosting with RV. There are a couple of recipes posted here. HTH

Mamasmanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasmanna Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 12

I've tried dark chocolate ganache with red velvet and it is good, however it takes the whole cake in a different direction flavor wise but good indeed.

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:45am
post #9 of 12

I went with the white chocolate ganache, and it was awesome with the RV.  I like it better than with the cream cheese BC, I think I will only make it with wc ganache from now on.

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 4:12am
post #10 of 12

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.  I'm facing the same dilemma for a RV cake next week that will sit outside for a few hours.  So did you fill and ice with white chocolate ganache?  I was thinking of filling with SMBC, or maybe a mix of SMBC and ganache to add some stability, and ice with a bit stiffer white chocolate ganache, then cover with fondant.

AmbitiousBeginner Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 4:18am
post #11 of 12

I filled and iced with ganache using a 3:1 ratio.  I did one tall cake, 9" (two tiers both 10" cakes) and it was fine.  Don't think it needs anything else for taste or stability. 

Sorry if too late for weekend cake.

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 4:43am
post #12 of 12

Thanks for you reply.  My cake is not due until this coming Friday, so it's timely as well as useful.  icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%