Fondant And Butter Cream

Decorating By DelishDish Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 8:44am by mcaulir

DelishDish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelishDish Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:12am
post #1 of 4

What am I doing wrong here?!

Most people Ive encountered do not like the taste of fondant so they peel off the fondant, assuming to find a nice layer of butter cream underneath. However, that has not been the case for me. All the butter cream is coming up with the fondant, leaving no butter cream on the cake. I am using 1/2-1 in of butter cream. Is that not enough? Why is it pulling all the butter cream off?

3 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:45am
post #2 of 4

you may be doing everything right.  How many times have you made a fondant cake? maybe it was just a fluke.

the few times that I have made a fondant covered cake I only put a light crumb coat on the cake, then a thin layer of buttercream, probably about 1/4 inch thick. then put on the fondant.  since everyone peels off the fondant, unless if it's homemade Marshmallow fondant (that kids and people with a serious sweet tooth will eat.)

but to counter the lack of  a thick layer of buttercream on the outside of the cake (under the fondant) I split my two cakes, to make four layers of cake. then I put a thick layer of buttercream and filling or chocolate ganche on the inside of the cake.  It balances it out well.

however I do live in a colder non humid climate and it may not be applicable to where you live.

keep at it, forget the failures and celebrate your successes. and take photos of your successful cakes!!

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4

Maybe your icing was too stiff? 

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 8:44am
post #4 of 4

Nothing wrong - the fondant has to stick to the icing underneath.  How else is it supposed to stay on the cake? Are you trying to peel it all off before cutting the cake, or once it's on your plate?

If before cutting, don't! Just cut it with the fondant on, and then everyone is responsible for their own piece, and they can do what they like with it.

If once it's on your plate, well it doesn't matter. people can eat it if they want, or they can eat the cake out from underneath and leave the shell of fondant behind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%