Fitting 43 Names On A Cake

Decorating By luvmykids2bits Updated 2 Aug 2013 , 5:40am by LeslieBruckman

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:44am
post #1 of 8

I work with foster kids, and every three months, the Agency that I work for has a huge party for all the foster kids who are turning 18 and will age out of the system.  It's a fabulous event, really well planned, and they go all out to make the kids feel special.  For some kids, this is the first birthday party they've ever had.  Well, I found out that the birthday cakes were slabs from Costco, which was not cool, so I've started donating fabulous birthday cakes for the event. 

One thing for me that is a must is that each teen's name has to be on the cake somewhere.  I've generally the route of making three cakes - a boy cake, girl cake and then a gender neutral that has all their names on it.  However, making three 3 tier cakes is so time consuming, so this time around I'm going to do one big cake and then filling in the rest with cupcakes.  I want to do a stack of presents, but I can't figure out the best way to put 43 names on without it looking cheesy (I want to make a classy stack of presents, probably in blacks and silvers and burnt orangey-red).  I thought about putting the names on the cupcakes, but the kids LOVE finding their names on the cake and take pictures of their names and ask me if I can cut their names out carefully so they can eat the piece with their names.  Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fit 43 names on a cake without destroying the looking of the cake?  I'm a bit stumped on this one! 

7 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:48am
post #2 of 8

A wheel of fortune or roulette type wheel with a name in each spot?

Liz

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:58am
post #3 of 8

You could make little gift tags, like you would find on a holiday or birthday present.  Then "write" the name on it, and place it on the cake.  

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:31am
post #4 of 8

AStars on wires, write a name on each star. (really, anything on a wire) http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/teddy-bear-presents-1st-birthday-cake-2008-04-13.htm

Loopy bows, write a name on each loop. http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2377508/

This is an idea for another time, if you want to branch out from the gifts boxes A tree with leaves hanging off it, names on the leaves.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:35am
post #5 of 8

Two simple words.
Two simple words in the English language.
"Edible Printing."

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:44am
post #6 of 8

AI think the gift tags are a cute way to go! You can make mini gift boxes with the child's name and use those as fondant toppers, and put some on the cake as well.

Or make some gifts stacked on top and border the cake (I'm picturing a larger round/square cake) with flat gift boxes with the children's names side by side. Or a combination of the ideas.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 5:31am
post #7 of 8

I like the idea of gift tags but considering how many would have to be on there, it may be overload. Unless you are doing multiple names on each tag. Are you planning on doing a design of sorts on the presents? If they will have stars or circles, write it on the stars. If you are doing a ribbon and bow, you could write it them on that. Edible markers are great if you have nice handwritting.

LeslieBruckman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeslieBruckman Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 5:40am
post #8 of 8

Balloon cake pops or cutouts or something... instead of the cupcakes. A balloon for each of them with all of their names on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%