Airbrush Problems- Blowing The Breakers

Decorating By lorillc Updated 2 Aug 2013 , 5:03pm by LisaBerczel

lorillc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorillc Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 4

My airbrushes won't work and blow breakers, and we can figure out why.  The first one I bought was the elephant type model AS16.  I got about 4 uses out of it (at my home) and it got really hot and quit working, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.   I just got another one 4 days ago, so this time I took it to work  and when I plugged it in it blew the  breakers, it's the Masters TC-20.  Then I took it home to try and it's doing the same thing and now won't run at all.  I've tried troubleshooting on the net and I can't find anything.  Does anyone else have this problem?

3 replies
LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 4:22am
post #2 of 4

Either you've had really bad luck, or there's something up with your set up.

That class of compressor should not be blowing a breaker... it's only 110/120 volts.

Be certain you have the right power style for your outlets. Volts vs. Hertz mismatch can absolutely cause problems. 

Does another appliance in the same outlet trip the breaker? You could have an over-taxed line. 

How long do you run the compressor? If the compressor motor is running CONSTANTLY for a long period of time, it WILL eventually overheat and shut off. This is NOT the same thing as blowing a breaker. This does tax the motor and can shorten it's life. That's why auto-shut off models are preferred - they only run when air is used.

lorillc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorillc Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 10:33am
post #3 of 4

I've never had a problem with any of my appliances except the airbrushes.  I used the first one about 5-7 min (if that)  just to do shading on pillows ect.  and then that one started tripping the GFI and now won't start.  The tc20 I ran it about 3 mins.  it quit and it was very hot when I shut it off, now it starts for about 2-3 seconds and quits or trips the GFI.  What I don't understand is I ran them in 2 different places, is it possible to get 2 bad ones back to back?  What I did notice is one the tc20 the pressure knob just kept turning when I took the knob off, the button is pushed in, I'll call TCGlobal today.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

I still wonder if the first compressor may have been for a different power grid..... 

It's possible you have 2 *broken* compressors in a row.

At $79, TC-20 is at the bottom of the market for that class of compressor -  which does mean there are real trade offs in quality and durability. I have a similar Harbor Freight version purchased years ago as a back-up unit - and let's just say it gathers dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%