Response To "i Found Someone To Do It Cheaper"

Business By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 11:32pm by embersmom

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 12:11am
post #31 of 42

I wouldn't take the time to reply to someone who said they'd found someone cheaper.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 12:14am
post #32 of 42

I would just to be polite and professional. Then when this cake gets screwed up they will remember how gracious I was.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 12:23am
post #33 of 42

A

Original message sent by Sweetface421

Pheadramax, I have thought about responding to her and letting her know that the design she wants requires someone with a high level of skill IF she wants the cake to have that "Wow!" factor that she claimed she wanted. The design was to be a "Rival Stadiums" cake - one side of the cake made to look like Neyland stadium and the other half was Rupp stadium in KY. Made to serve around 100. BIG cake.

Yep, she's getting a Cakewrecks sheetcake, I can see it now.

So, do you think that before long we will see a post here with someone urgently wanting HELP! NOW! for this very cake?

costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 12:28am
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

So, do you think that before long we will see a post here with someone urgently wanting HELP! NOW! for this very cake?

Hahahaha! So true.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 1:48am
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by embersmom 

I don't have my own business, but every so often I'll make a cake and/or cupcakes for friends or my husband's coworkers for the cost of the ingredients.  Doesn't bother me one bit as I consider it to be practice for doing techniques I don't use at work :)   One of my husband's coworkers asked me if I'd be interested in making a dinosaur cake for her son's birthday in a couple of weeks.  Today she told my husband that her mother intervened and said that no, she'd get a cake from "somewhere else" because it would be cheaper than to pay me for the ingredients.

?!?!?

icon_eek.gif

Wow. icon_confused.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:18am
post #36 of 42

A

Original message sent by Godot

Or, you could respond like this: "Oh well done! Wow - less than half the price! Please do send a photograph so I can make contribution to cakewrecks.com".

Oh yeah!

Original message sent by embersmom

I don't have my own business, but every so often I'll make a cake and/or cupcakes for friends or my husband's coworkers for the cost of the ingredients.  Doesn't bother me one bit as I consider it to be practice for doing techniques I don't use at work :)   One of my husband's coworkers asked me if I'd be interested in making a dinosaur cake for her son's birthday in a couple of weeks.  Today she told my husband that her mother intervened and said that no, she'd get a cake from "somewhere else" because it would be cheaper than to pay me for the ingredients.

?!?!?

8O

I'd love to know how that works out for them! If it is cheaper to get a whole cake for less than the cost of ingredients, what is the cheaper cake going to be made out of?

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:22am
post #37 of 42

A

Original message sent by Sweetface421

Pheadramax, I have thought about responding to her and letting her know that the design she wants requires someone with a high level of skill IF she wants the cake to have that "Wow!" factor that she claimed she wanted. The design was to be a "Rival Stadiums" cake - one side of the cake made to look like Neyland stadium and the other half was Rupp stadium in KY. Made to serve around 100. BIG cake.

Yep, she's getting a Cakewrecks sheetcake, I can see it now.

It's Rupp ARENA, not stadium, just saying ;-) (not that I actually care, I just made one last week!) I hate sports!

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 3:38am
post #38 of 42

I just had a customer want a 30serving fondant cake for around $50-$75. thumbsdown.gif This was after a phone conversation of $75-$100. I figured I'd get home

and see if she sent me an email with specs already knowing the price would drop. It did.

I feel no regret telling the customer "No."  I do it professionally because the last thing I need is for one of them to be wacko and figure out where I live.

It's surprising to me how far ppl will take something. Anyone can be stalked in this day and age.

Sweetface421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetface421 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:02pm
post #39 of 42

Oops. My bad.

I don't follow sports either so stadium... arena... they're all the same to me icon_wink.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 10:15pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetface421 

Oops. My bad.

I don't follow sports either so stadium... arena... they're all the same to me icon_wink.gif

Me too, I just used to go to a giant white Methodist Church right across the street from it ;-) 

costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 10:51pm
post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetface421 

Oops. My bad.

All I know is they're places where lots of sporty things take place so I want nothing to do with them.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 11:32pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Oh yeah!
I'd love to know how that works out for them! If it is cheaper to get a whole cake for less than the cost of ingredients, what is the cheaper cake going to be made out of?

Styrofoam, perhaps?

Seriously...I haven't talked with the coworker, but my husband said she was close to tears when she told him because she really wanted me to do the cake.

There's only two things I can think of re the mother:  Either 1) she doesn't want to create extra work for me, or 2) she honestly believes it'd be cheaper to buy this "cake" elsewhere even though the coworker told her I already have most of the ingredients on hand!

Or maybe she knows somebody else :shrug:  The mother doesn't know me, but she knows of me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%