Help!!?!! Why Do My Cakes Sometimes Cave In On The Sides?

Decorating By WhimsyCakes Updated 31 Jul 2013 , 2:57pm by MimiFix

WhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhimsyCakes Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone please suggest what in the world I might be doing wrong here!?  I have been baking cakes for years and this seems to be happening a lot lately. I swear they come right out of the oven looking like this photo! Caved in around the edges.  I have googled and tried everything I can think of. I am NOT over mixing as some suggested. I sift all my ingredient before mixing them in with all the wet ingredients and only mix until combined.  I do mix all liquid ingredients like water, egg whites, sour cream & oil first, then add the dry ingredients.  This happens most of the time but not all of the time.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I am SICK and TIRED of wasting cake by having to trim all this off!!! UGHHHHHHHHH

8 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 9

Someone a while back had exactly the same problem and I recall had a good few replies - see if you can find the thread doing a search (either on here or use Google). I can't remember the name of the thread or the OP's name, sorry!!

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 9

This can happen when you cool your cakes in the pan, too much moisture builds up.

WhimsyCakes Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 9

I may have found a solution...I was reading online that too much Pam or non-stick cooking spray doesn't allow the cake to adhere to the sides?,  therefore the cake caves around the edges.  I'm trying that method now and just took the first 2 pans out of the oven so we shall see!  I use a timer when letting my cakes cool because everything I have read says to let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes. However, I have also tried taking them out immediately, same results.

CSIMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSIMisty Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 1:55am
post #5 of 9

That might work. I think you're putting in too much batter. I've never seen cakes that far out of a pan before. Try a little less batter as well to see if it continues to fall on the sides.

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 2:17am
post #6 of 9

A

Original message sent by CSIMisty

That might work. I think you're putting in too much batter. I've never seen cakes that far out of a pan before. Try a little less batter as well to see if it continues to fall on the sides.

The cake is actually resting on the flipped over pan in the photo.

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 2:58am
post #7 of 9

AHave you checked that your oven has the right temperature? Double check it with an oven thermometer

WhimsyCakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 9

AYes, as Rosegin stated, the cake was simply sitting on top of the over turned pan. I may have solved that mystery though!!?!! I tried using almost no non-stick spray and ta-daa...cake was perfect!! I've been over spraying the sides of the pan!! Duhhh!!! Thank you all for the help & suggestions!! I appreciate you taking time to respond!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 9

Just an added FYI - almost all of my cakes cool in their pans and it's never caused any issues. Bundt cakes are the only ones I depan while still warm. All others have parchment liners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%