Where To Buy Almond Flour And Superfine Sugar In Southwest Florida

Decorating By ashleybakes Updated 29 Jul 2013 , 6:34pm by liz at sugar

ashleybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 6

I want to try my hand at making macarons but the recipe calls for almond flour and superfine sugar. I went to Publix and they had neither. I have read that with a food processor you can make almond flour from almond slices and superfine sugar from granulated sugar but I don't have a food processor. The closest thing I have is a baby bullet. Do you think this would work? If not, does anyone know of anywhere I can get these ingredients? 

5 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 6

Hmmm, I make almond butter in the food processor - never noticed it going through a flour stage. Maybe it's all in the method?

If they don't have it at your regular store, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or some health food stores have almond flour. Do you have Spouts stores, they carry it too? I do know you can put sugar in the food processor and make it finer - all the way to powdered sugar. I made powdered sugar in my magic bullet once.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 6

Don't try to make your own almond flour, it isn't a simple as you'd think to get the right consistency. You should be able to find almond flour at one of your local grocery stores. Look at the shelf where they sell Bob's Red Mill flours or you can buy it online here: http://www.bobsredmill.com/almond-meal-flour.html but that's 4.5 pounds, which will make a lot of macaroons.

You don't really need superfine sugar for your cooked sugar syrup. Reg. sugar dissolves the same way.

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 6

AI find the bobsredmill Almond flour in my local super target. It's usuall on the top most rack I the section where they have flours etc. I thinks it's about $13 or so..

ashleybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 6

AThank you everyone! I realize now that I probably should have checked the whole foods/gluten free isle at the supermarket rather than the baking isle. Duh!! I will go check again for almond flour and just put some sugar in my baby bullet and I'm sure it will turn out fine (superfine).

I love this place! You all are always so helpful! :D

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 6

Amazon.com - 2 lb. bags for the almond flour.

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%