Cake Was Not A Disaster, But I'm Kicking Myself!!!

Decorating By luvmykids2bits Updated 29 Jul 2013 , 11:19pm by MissAnn1

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:34am
post #1 of 7

So I am very new to cake decorating for more than just family, and I had someone approach me six months ago about making a wedding cake.  I was thrilled to pieces, and gave her a quote, and really underpriced myself even at that point since it was my first wedding cake and I didn't want to overcharge.  Well, fast forward six months and I've learned a ton and feel way more confident, and spent the last two days making RKT dummy layers, building the cake, making the top real layer, icing the roses and dusting it with luster dust.  I was about halfway through the dummy layers and realized I had really underpriced myself, and by the time I was done I realized I had GROSSLY underpriced.  When I delivered the cake (rock solid construction, thanks to the advice here, it didn't move a smidge!), someone who was supposed to have the balance of the cake money (the bride had paid a deposit), said, "It's $400 for the cake, right?" and I wanted to cry when I corrected her because I was wanting to scream, "that's what I should have charged!!"  I am actually too embarrassed to admit how little I actually charged for the cake.  Lesson learned, I guess.  The staff at the venue loved the cake, as did the family of the bride that was there. 

6 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:06am
post #2 of 7

That is cute!

You could have saved yourself a crap-load of time (and probably $ as cereal is expensive and RKT are a TOTAL PITA to make IMHO) by using styro dummies.  They really aren't that expensive.

Did they want RKT for their dessert?

Just some thoughts for next time...

I am usually satisfied with my pricing but there are some times, when I have been working on a cake WAAAYY longer than I anticipated, that I want to break down and cry!

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

That is cute!

You could have saved yourself a crap-load of time (and probably $ as cereal is expensive and RKT are a TOTAL PITA to make IMHO) by using styro dummies.  They really aren't that expensive.

Did they want RKT for their dessert?

Just some thoughts for next time...

I am usually satisfied with my pricing but there are some times, when I have been working on a cake WAAAYY longer than I anticipated, that I want to break down and cry!

They were having a desert bar, so only wanted the top layer for cutting.  I priced out the dummy layers and to buy them was stupidly expensive, whereas making the RKT only cost me about $20 (got a wicked good sale on marshmallows and a good sale on cereal).  I only recently realized you can make your own styrafoam dummies (d'oh!  Should have figured that out sooner, I'm generally a super resourceful person). 

I made the cost of my supplies and then about $2 an hour by the time I was done.  :(

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 7

It happens.  It's a lesson learned.  I have done this before as well.  

shebysuz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebysuz Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 7

Dallas Foam ( online) is a good source for dummies. Good customer service too. Very inexpensive.

Your wedding couple got a great deal but this is all a part of learning as you go. At least you didn't do a wedding cake &  5 dozen custom cupcakes for free like I did!!! I was so excited to do my first wedding cake for a friend but was worried that if it wasn't just right, I would feel worse if I took money for it. I did it as a gift so I could relax and not feel that pressure. When I delivered and set up, guests were oohing and awing and asking me for my business card. I told them I wasn't in business and that I was just a beginner, that the cake was my gift to the bride & groom. One lady said " well that's a damn good gift, that cake would cost over 500 dollars!"  I'm not sure it would cost quite that much but I still wanted to kick myself for not at least accepting money for reimbursement on this one, giving the labor as my gift. I look back at how sheepish and inexperienced I acted and it makes me cringe. I think it all boils down to confidence,  and that is something you get with time and thru experiences like this.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 7

I think we all go thru this one time or another.  Stop kicking yourself and just put this experience in the "learned my lesson" file.   There are times that I will charge less because I have never done that type of cake before and my confidence level in making that cake is not that high.  If I get another order for the same cake, I would then charge more because I would now know how to do, how long it took me, etc.  You did a great job btw and I hope that they appreciated what you did for them :)

MissAnn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissAnn1 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 7

I still consider myself a novice at cake decorating.  I was asked to make a wedding cake for a friend who loves my cakes. I've done a lot of birthday and anniversary cakes so I took the challenge.  I didn't charge for the cake as I told her it was my wedding gift to her. I took felt that if wasn't that great I wouldn't feel bad. Needless to say everyone thought she had ordered it from one of the better bakeries in our town.  Next cake will not be free!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%