Ugh! Friends Make The Worst Customers! (This Is A Rant!)

Lounge By as you wish Updated 7 Aug 2013 , 10:33pm by DeliciousDesserts

elizamtz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizamtz Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:15pm
post #31 of 54

ANot just friends, family members too. My cousin ask me for quote, for a 2 tier fondant cake. Ok I said,$45 she never called again.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:49pm
post #32 of 54

AJeeze, my cheapest 2 tier fondant is $99 dollars more than what you quoted.... family discount is 15% off.

texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:52pm
post #33 of 54

My two tier simple fondant cakes are $50.00 and that is family discount and they know I do not bake from scratch.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:55pm
post #34 of 54

A

Original message sent by elizamtz

Not just friends, family members too. My cousin ask me for quote, for a 2 tier fondant cake. Ok I said,$45 she never called again.

I hope that was after you discounted at least 50%.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:59pm
post #35 of 54

ADoesn't it seem like some people won't be happy until we are paying them for the privilege of making a cake for their special event? (You know, because it will be such good publicity for us and, after all, it's just cake!)

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 9:07pm
post #36 of 54

A

Original message sent by as you wish

Okay, I have to tell you about this one. I was contacted by a friend today (let's call her "friend 1") on behalf of another friend ("friend 2") who is throwing a gender reveal party for her pregnant sister. ("Uninvolved third party") They are going through these channels so that friend 2 will be able to throw the party without discovering the gender of the baby before everyone else at the party. Friend 1seems to think that friend 2 has been in touch with me about this cake. She has not. I have no idea about size, flavour, decoration... Nothing. Oh, except I do know the gender of the baby! And did I mention the party is this Saturday? So, friend 2 is picking up the cake, but friend 1 is ordering it. Friend 2 has some idea what she wants but hasn't contacted me to tell me. Friend 2 is paying for the cake but friend 1 is going to approve the price. Friend 2 still owes me for the last cake I made her. How do I tell friend 1 that the cost of the cake is $x, plus $x from the last cake, bringing the total to $xx? That would put friend 1 in the awkward position of relaying the information of debt to friend 2, and probably make friend 2 upset about being humiliated like that before friend 1. I don't know. This is nuts! It would be entertaining if it was someone else's life!

Thought I'd let you all know that this was resolved quite nicely. I did contact friend 2 and reminded her about the $ owing. No weirdness from her about it and I am being payed in full for both cakes before the upcoming event. She offered before I asked. So glad I didn't have to tough to get paid!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 9:08pm
post #37 of 54

A

Original message sent by texas_mom

My two tier simple fondant cakes are $50.00 and that is family discount and they know I do not bake from scratch.

are you serious? What sizes are those tiers? How many servings do you say it is? My 6 and 8 with fondant are $144 and I wish I could charge more.

texas_mom Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm
post #38 of 54

My cake are usually either 10 and 8  or  8 and 6.  A 10 and 8 usually ( using box mixes of course ) cost about  $15.00 to make and  takes only one and a  a half days.  I bake the  cakes the evening before so they can settle and spend the next day stacking and decorating them and ready to be picked up the following morning.  My avatar cake is a 10 inch cake and took $10.00 to make and only a one day. This price is  for family of course any one else would be more.  But I don't bake outside the family anymore. And they know that the largest cake I will bake is 10 inches round.  Unless there is a wedding then the sky is the limit on cost and size and I donate the cake as my way of helping the family.  Let me also state that I bake as a hobby.  For me it is more the decorating of the cake then the baking itself.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 9:48pm
post #39 of 54

AI cut ALL that drama out my life by just not doing it. After a request from a close friends bother for "a table full of mini cakes" and a comment "you better give us a family discount" I was done. My siblings and parents will forever get whatever they want. EVERYBODY ELSE FAMILY INCLUDED PAYS. If I'm feeling good ill give $40 off.

I don't play about my money or my business lol

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 11:55pm
post #40 of 54

AGrrr. I just had a conversation with my boyfriend's sister about a cake in a couple months. He has two sisters, five nieces & nephews. I've been doing all their cakes the last few years, and keep bumping up the price of each. I explained to little sister that I cannot keep 'giving away' cakes anymore, and need to charge more if I want to have a viable business. The family still gets a substantial discount. Well today, I got the 'I might make it myself' comment. Not in a snotty way, though. I told her I wouldn't be upset if she doesn't order from me anymore. It's OK. Enjoy your Raley's cake. Did I mention that their cheap cakes keep getting bigger & bigger & bigger with every order? Like 72 servings for a 4 & 6 year old's birthday party. One sister ordered cake for 50 last week, didn't like the price tag, so I reduced the cake to 36 servings. Half of it didn't even get eaten. Yet she wanted the bigger cake at first. Selfish.

texas_mom Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 12:40am
post #41 of 54

IamPamCakes-I wonder is it the big cake they want or do they fear they will not have enough to serve everyone?  I made a cake once that was five tiers in the center with the largest cake being a 16 inch round and the sizes got smaller at the tiers got higher, then I made eight  8 inch round that circled the tiered cake.  The only cake eaten was the largest cake.  All the other cakes were given away whole.  One time I made a wedding cake that was too large for the people invited and the tiers were given away whole too.  LOL one tier was actually going to be scripted with "Happy Birthday" and recycled the next day by a guest.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 2:25am
post #42 of 54

AI think they want bigger & bigger to see where I draw the line. That seems to be the way these individuals work - let's see how much we can get for nothing. They've been raised as greedy, spoiled brats, and I'm the only person on the planet that seems to put a limit on what I'll give. So when they order more, I charge more. I'm sure they want the wow factor in their cakes, so they keep wanting to go bigger for show, but I'm pretty sure they are trying to see how much I'll give before enough is enough.

texas_mom Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 2:48am
post #43 of 54

I got a request a few years back for a cake that would actually take up an 8 foot table.  They wanted it so bad that when I told them it would be way too much cake they asked me to use dummy cakes if I needed too.  They just wanted that WOW !! factor from their guest. 

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 4:33am
post #44 of 54

I have a repeat customer that always orders a bigger cake then they need just for the wow factor.  They totally don't mind paying more for the bigger cake so I certainly don't have a problem with that.  I am from Texas and of course everything has to be bigger so I have a ton of customers think their cake is not big enough to serve the amount of guests they have but they always come back saying they had the right amount of cake.  Last year I made a 3 tier pillow cake for my dads birthday which is was a 6,8 and 10" and we had about 50 guest or so and my uncle had the nerve to say that the cake looked like it wouldn't feed enough and he was standing RIGHT in back of me.  And of course we had plenty of cake and even had enough for a lot of seconds.

texas_mom Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 4:41am
post #45 of 54

Many times there is not enough cake because who ever is serving the cake just doesn't know how to cut it.  When people come by to pick up their cake and say the cake looks to small for the amount of people expected at the celebration, I give them instructions on how to cut it or I Google Wiltons chart and print it out and give it to them.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 5:30am
post #46 of 54

Every single cake that leaves our premises gets a cutting chart and instructions!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 5:30am
post #47 of 54

Every single cake that leaves our premises gets a cutting chart and instructions!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 5:40am
post #48 of 54

I think I must be a b....ch.  I don't do paid cakes but if I did and didn't get paid I think I would go and post on their facebook page in big letters that I was still alive and waiting for payment.  It might sound rude but it is less rude than them not paying in the first place.  And if they have not been honest with you and paid then regardless of what you think they are not a good friend and good riddance if they get upset.

passion4baking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
passion4baking Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:12am
post #49 of 54

My aunt wanted a cake for free. She wanted a half sheet cake with a soccer ball on top, some soccer players and the goal posts, fresh fruit as a filling, and fondant decorations. I told her I would charge her $100 since I'm currently not working, just going to school and I need money for the stuff I would have to buy. She nearly had a heart attack and said the supermarket only charged 40 for something similar. She then lied and said some one offered to buy the cake. The day of the party she arrived with the supermarket cake that she bought and it was not what she wanted. This same aunt has always tried to take advantage and get things for free, when she always charges for the favors she does. It sucks because they don't understand how much work goes into making cakes.

texas_mom Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:40am
post #50 of 54

Passion4baking, I find it so strange that people are willing for pay $40- $60 for an "assembly line" thawed out  cake from a supermarket and not pay $100.00 for a cake make to their specifications.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 1:01am
post #51 of 54

My g-friend loves salmon fishing, I love baking.  She brines and smokes her own fish and it's wonderful.

Were making a swap, (again), Home baked scratch banana cupcakes for home smoked Alaska Red Salmon.  Old fashioned bartering Alaska style.

......as the lady said previously, there are only so many friends.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:18pm
post #52 of 54

AGreat, now I want Salmon. Do you know how hard it is to get good, wild Alaskan salmon?!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 9:39pm
post #53 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 
Great, now I want Salmon. Do you know how hard it is to get good, wild Alaskan salmon?!!

YES,  However, it's just a one minute drive around the corner to the river, pull in a few fish, go home, fillet it, vacuum pack it and toss it in the freezer.  And it's so healthy!!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 10:33pm
post #54 of 54

A/jealous. Very hard to get it here in Charleston, SC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%