I Can't Believe It...actually I Can

Business By Smckinney07 Updated 5 Oct 2013 , 9:14pm by embersmom

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:28pm
post #31 of 61

I would never RAT someone out unless I had proof they were doing something harmful but afetr looking at some of the pics onthere I did post this in my own ad today https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3962729673

Also my tenant is a chef  extern at a local trendy place. The stories she tells me...i wont eat there. When she has reported things (chef drinking from milk jug in kitchen they just make fun of her)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:33pm
post #32 of 61

ANo one can see your ad. Grab the actual public link.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:02am
post #33 of 61

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

she's actually in a different State, which borders mine it's about 15-20min away but yes they still have restrictions and I doubt she follows them or knows much about cross-contamination let alone ServSafe/Proper Food Handeling. I never thought to contact the Health Department. It seems a bit petty, but perhaps it's due to ignorance?!

It's not petty at all, if you have a suspicion someone is doing something illegally you have an obligation as a citizen to report them to the relevant authorities.

jason_kraft Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:03am
post #34 of 61

A[quote name="BatterUpCake" url="/t/761608/i-cant-believe-it-actually-i-can/30#post_7422497"]but afetr looking at some of the pics onthere I did post this in my own ad today [URL=https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3962729673]https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3962729673[/URL][/quote]

Are you sure you really want customers who look for custom cake vendors on CL?

The public link is here: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/crs/3962729673.html Considering the audience for your "ad" it's a good thing you didn't post any identifying information since you'll probably get some blowback.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:26am
post #35 of 61

AI guess your right, I hadn't thought of it like that. The proof is in her pictures! I'm not saying her kitchen was filthy, it looks like she has a nice home, it's just I saw the entire house with her cakes lol. They were taken mostly on the washer/dryer, or on the counter by cleaning products/nail polish, laundry baskets in the background-just super unprofessional. That was the main shocker that kept me looking. I suppose that's not the point, her adds that gave away a free dozen cupcakes with an order and things like that. I've run into people that sell 'cheap' cakes but never anything like this! It's difficult for me to separate my personal distaste/feelings from the business I'm trying to build. But if I saw someone stealing a car I would call the police :)

BatterUp-your so funny! I haven't even dared to check the Craigslist in my area for such offences, lol

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:31am
post #36 of 61

Actually it was a rant....and No I wasn't after those customers I just couldn't believe how laissez faire folks are about it. I only went to look because of this thread made me curious. I never post private info on CL...Trying to sell an old computer and camera right now but to contact me through CL.

just checked my email...no blowback yet. And no replies for my stuff for sale either! Damn

AZCouture Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:32am
post #37 of 61

AAnd naturally one of those listings is rife with stolen photos. Very 'sunny' over there.

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:47am
post #38 of 61

in my area? I only looked at a couple. The littlecakery on here the other day was using someone else's cake as her profile pic....and a couple of others

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 1:52am
post #39 of 61

ASomeone in my new subdivision is advertising in the community newsletter that she's selling cheesecakes which aren't allowed under the Tx CFL. I'm having a hard time with whether I should do anything about it to be honest.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:17am
post #40 of 61

AI was speaking with someone from the health department a while ago, and she actually said 'please' let them know if people are operating illegally. Having cottage food laws, there is no reason not to become legal.

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:19am
post #41 of 61

Because you all made me curious, I went to CL to see if there were any cake makers advertising...this is one I found and below that is a warning from someone that hired this gal for a wedding cake.  Sorry if the photos she has posted belong to any of the CC people!

Hey everyone. So this is all new to me. but I think I have figured this out. :) I will be posting about cakes I am making cakes that I have made. and all the other fun stuff that I hope happens. So for anyone who is wanting to get a cake please contact me at ****or email me at *****.com. I have been toying with the idea of opening up my own bakery but it is not something i want to do full time. at least not right now. here are a few pics of some of the cakes that I have made for clients. now some pics that i post are cakes that i copied and if i ever find my pics of them i will post them in place of the others. not only do i make cakes but i make pies cookies muffins and simple cakes like a galliano cake which I made for my co-worker and friend Ronda. I made one and we sampled it and decided it needed a lot more booze in it so the second one had about double the booze in it. I did not try this one but I was informed that it was amazing and went over very well with everyone.

pink+ribbon.jpgblue+ribbon.jpg

elizabethtown-wedding-cakes-3.jpgmini+cake+wedding+cake.jpg

Beware of J*** H**** dba Cakes by J**** and also J*** S*** B** Bakery. The pictures she shows as examples must be taken from someone else's work, because her baked goods don't look anywhere near as nice as the pictures. The cupcakes for my wedding could have been done better by my child! The frosting was just smeared on in a messy way. She also promises a free first anniversary cake when you order your wedding cake from her. She does not stand behind this either. I tried reaching her for 3 weeks to make mine and she didn't return any of my calls, emails or facebook messages. Her prices may be "cheap" but you will be disappointed!

Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:20am
post #42 of 61

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

Someone in my new subdivision is advertising in the community newsletter that she's selling cheesecakes which aren't allowed under the Tx CFL. I'm having a hard time with whether I should do anything about it to be honest.

That's tough especially when it's literally in your backyard! Are you worried she'll find out it was you or do you just feel weird about telling someone?

jason_kraft Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:22am
post #43 of 61

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

Someone in my new subdivision is advertising in the community newsletter that she's selling cheesecakes which aren't allowed under the Tx CFL. I'm having a hard time with whether I should do anything about it to be honest.

Don't worry about it, I've submitted a complaint myself to the Sugar Land health dept. I won't share the business name publicly but they are located on Old Towne Ln.

If they ask I won't say the info came from you.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:30am
post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

You could send her an "anonymous" warning that she's in violation and could be reported. Maybe that would be enough to stop her.

AZCouture Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:33am
post #45 of 61

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

in my area? I only looked at a couple. The littlecakery on here the other day was using someone else's cake as her profile pic....and a couple of others

Yep, I clicked to the homepage Craigslist for the town you posted that in, and typed in cakes for a search. My reference to a certain bright star should give you a hint as to which one in the results I am referring to.

Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:34am
post #46 of 61

AThat's a shame that her wedding cupcakes were ugly, that's pretty difficult to mess up icing a cupcake! I just can't seem to understand why someone would post such beautiful pictures when they can't provide the results-it's like walking into a trap or setting yourself up for failure! I know when I first started I had no idea how much work went into a wedding cake or a nice custom cake but I can't imagine blatantly displaying someone else's work as my own. I just don't get it.

But I certainly wouldn't purchase a wedding cake off CL either.

AZCouture Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:34am
post #47 of 61

AVirginia Beach, to be exact.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:35am
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Sis 

Because you all made me curious, I went to CL to see if there were any cake makers advertising...this is one I found and below that is a warning from someone that hired this gal for a wedding cake.  Sorry if the photos she has posted belong to any of the CC people!

Hey everyone. So this is all new to me. but I think I have figured this out. :) I will be posting about cakes I am making cakes that I have made. and all the other fun stuff that I hope happens. So for anyone who is wanting to get a cake please contact me at ****or email me at *****.com. I have been toying with the idea of opening up my own bakery but it is not something i want to do full time. at least not right now. here are a few pics of some of the cakes that I have made for clients. now some pics that i post are cakes that i copied and if i ever find my pics of them i will post them in place of the others. not only do i make cakes but i make pies cookies muffins and simple cakes like a galliano cake which I made for my co-worker and friend Ronda. I made one and we sampled it and decided it needed a lot more booze in it so the second one had about double the booze in it. I did not try this one but I was informed that it was amazing and went over very well with everyone.

Beware of J*** H**** dba Cakes by J**** and also J*** S*** B** Bakery. The pictures she shows as examples must be taken from someone else's work, because her baked goods don't look anywhere near as nice as the pictures. The cupcakes for my wedding could have been done better by my child! The frosting was just smeared on in a messy way. She also promises a free first anniversary cake when you order your wedding cake from her. She does not stand behind this either. I tried reaching her for 3 weeks to make mine and she didn't return any of my calls, emails or facebook messages. Her prices may be "cheap" but you will be disappointed!

This bride must not have had enough "booze" in her cupcakes...bless her heart, the ad sounded SO professional and all. Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about ordering FOOD from CL. 

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:54am
post #49 of 61

detective.gif I'll be back Watson

AZCouture Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:01am
post #50 of 61

A

detective.gif  I'll be back Watson

It's just so sunny.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:21am
post #51 of 61

A

yikes really? On cc?

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:24am
post #52 of 61

I'm hanging up my pipe!!!PM me the link! or the dates I seen moonfruit but no sun!?!?! Seasoned from above?

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:25am
post #53 of 61

Seasoned from Above is what I found, too.

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:27am
post #54 of 61

I got it!! I typed cake intead of cakes...didnt come up. Picking my pipe back up and placing in gingerly in my tightly pursed lipsdetective.gif

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:49am
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

And naturally one of those listings is rife with stolen photos. Very 'sunny' over there.

Looks like she snuck one real photo in there though.

I see some FB snarkery I assume came from a CC member, haha.

kikiandkyle Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 5:37am
post #56 of 61

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Don't worry about it, I've submitted a complaint myself to the Sugar Land health dept. I won't share the business name publicly but they are located on Old Towne Ln.

If they ask I won't say the info came from you.

My new subdivision isn't in Sugar Land, but thanks for that anyway, every little helps!

I don't know much about the baker in question other than their little ad in the newsletter that I picked up when I was out there recently. No website listed, just a phone number and prices. I'm guessing that since nobody else has ads in there, they know the person who puts the newsletter together.

I don't want to ruffle feathers as we're hoping to stay a long time and make lots of new friends, but I know I need to do something. I will see what else I can find out.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 5:52am
post #57 of 61

AI live very close to Sugar Land! So thanks for reporting those who haven't taken the steps to be legal or aren't following the rules. TX has made it easy to operate under CFL it just bugs me when ppl dont follow rules.

kikiandkyle Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 5:54am
post #58 of 61

AI know right, it took me all of 2 hours to do the $15 food handlers permit course online and that's pretty much it. I guess this lady only likes doing cheesecakes.

DnDPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnDPastry Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 1:59pm
post #59 of 61

I understand all that you are saying/posting about home/small businesss; it's difficult enough to make sure that you have all met all of the proper state/city requirements to legally conduct a business, only to see others running a "business" with complete disregard for legal and health standards. It's tough to "take the high road", especially when $$ is involved, but I know we all would prefer to know in our hearts & minds that we are doing the RIGHT thing and that's why we choose to jump through all the hoops to keep our businesses on the 'up and up'.

I would say:Take great pride in knowing that you are providing the best possible, quality products under the highest standards, and doing it fairly and intelligently. All others will certainly fall away eventually, possibly when their lax regard for standards catch up to them?

Another great concern of mine is how plenty of businesses sell cakes/cupcakes with their own  reproductions of licensed/trademarked images; such as Disney characters, TMNT, Hello Kitty and other cartoon/toy/TV show/movie images (i.e. "Sesame Street" etc.)

From what I understand, this is copyright infringement and you are subject to very large fines if you are caught selling items with copyrighted images that you are not licensed to reproduce.

Is this a concern of anyone else? How do you handle such requests?

kikiandkyle Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:11pm
post #60 of 61

AThis thread probably provides a good overview of the various opinions on that topic

http://cakecentral.com/t/764033/any-way-around-this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%