Help With Royal Icing Cookies.

Baking By DaLush Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 2:45pm by Kathy107

DaLush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaLush Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 9

Hey Everyone~

I hope someone on here could give me a good idea to how much I should price 36 (3dozen) royal icing cookies(mickey mouse).

I normally don't do royal icing cookies(just cakes) but I have a customer that would like theses cookies for her sons birthday. It would include also doing 40 cupcakes and chocolate dipped strawberries. I don't want to tell her to go somewhere else but I don't know how to price being that I will have to buy the cutters and I never really done them before etc... So if anyone could let me know what is involved and if it is something I should consider doing. Thanks a lot!

8 replies
ECC12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECC12 Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 9

i guess it would all depend on the size of the cookies.  I use Sugarbell's Cookie Pricing Chart and adjust it to my area.  Here is a link to her page.  Hope it helps.

http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/2012/11/cookie-pricing-chart/

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 9

The cookies can take some time.  Depending on your icing and the humidity, each color can take a day to dry.  If you haven't worked with decorated cookies before, there is a reason they cost about $1 per inch of cookie. 

A Mickey Mouse cookie could take several days to complete. There is a small learning curve to the icing consistency and flooding/edging.

DaLush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaLush Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both, I loved the website! I know they can take a lot of time to work on and I don't think the mother understands what is involved when making theses cookies. I appreciate the advice and will take some time to learn this process before I decide on anything.Thanks

4callmemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4callmemommy Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 9

AHi. I do cakes, cupcakes, and cake pops, but recently decided to learn more about decorated sugar cookies. I posted a question on SugarBelle's fb page and she highly recommended "The Complete Photo Guide to Cookie Decorating", so I ordered it from Amazon, along with "Cookie Craft", which also has great reviews! HTH!

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:50am
post #6 of 9

If you do those rodent cookies be sure to dye your black flow icing about 2 days ahead.  It takes time to darken the black and I usually add a bit more black the second day, let sit in sealed container in fridge and by third day or second night I have a beautiful black royal icing.  You will want to let base flood coat dry at least overnight before you add details so it is nice and hard.  ( This way you can wipe off mistake if it happens)

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 2:31am
post #7 of 9

ACheck Montreal confections on YouTube. GREAT tutorials.

carsten20101994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carsten20101994 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 7:33am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for this help.. I love cookies.. And you help me a lot in every situation..

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 9

I made Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse cookies with fondant.  They were very easy to do.  I just did the top half black, the bottom half red, added white dots and the bow for Minnie.  Don't know if this is an option for you or if she only wants the royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%