Is This A Typical Thing To Say?

Business By howsweet Updated 20 Jul 2013 , 2:48am by kikiandkyle

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 13

I specialize in high end kids' cakes, birthday cakes and other non wedding celebrations and recently have been getting more wedding inquires and have noticed that quite a few say something to make sure I know they will also be contacting other bakers. Since I don't especially want wedding business and I have a generally terrible disposition, it makes me want to say, "Well, then go with one of those - don't bother me!" Hahahaha!

But seriously, is that typical of first contact wedding inquiries? If they think it's going to effect my pricing, they are mistaken. So what's the point?

12 replies
keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 13

If you are not contemplating on doing weddings, I would simply reply: Thank you for your inquiry, however, I am not currently taking orders for weddings. Please seek out (insert name if you have one in mind) bakery for your wedding cake. Again thank you for thinking of me. If I can help you with a birthday or other celebration, feel free to let me know.

If you are going to do their wedding cake, you can simply reply with something along these lines. Thank you for your interest in XYZ Cakes. I look forward to making your cake a very special and unique centerpiece. My minimum order is xyz. Please feel free to look around and compare prices with local bakeries. Samples as well as testimonials of my work can be seen (     ) here.  If you would like to order, please contact me by (give a definite time) and we can discuss design, options and pricing.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 13

Some industries give discounts for purchasing more than one product (the insurance industry calls it bundling) and it's a universal bargaining technique. It has finally arrived at your door.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 13

I have had people contact me about wedding cakes and say they are just getting prices from varies bakers right now.

I'm not very patient when dealing with brides/bridezillas or their mothers.  I send them a nice email stating that I only bake Gluten-Free cakes, my prices, that wedding cakes require a signed contract and full payment prior to delivery.

I give no special deals because they are "shopping around".  For me this is business, not personal.  I don't want to be your best friend or bend over backwards to make them happy. I'm just not patient like that.  The last bride I dealt with said she was "easy & simple"  I disagree, I have visions of stabbing her LOL (kidding).  I couldn't wait to be done and over with her.  : )

So think it over, and Keepingitreal21 has some very lovely responses either way.  Wedding cake orders go on for months, keep that in mind when deciding.

Good Luck

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

If they think it's going to effect my pricing, they are mistaken. So what's the point?

Because they think it will.  Rightly or wrongly many view the industry as one where individuals solicit "competitive bids" for their project.  It simply reflects their way of thinking.  They do not "know" that your prices are set.  If someone thinks that you are simply offering them a bid price (or if they believe the industry is built on flexible pricing), they will act in accordance with that thinking--such as letting you know they are soliciting other bids to ensure you are offering your best "price."  

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 13

AEvery wedding article recommends checking out multiple vendors, be it for cakes, a band, or the location. I think it's in part to let you know they "know what they are doing" and to make sure your prices are competitive/not hiked up just because it's a wedding. I don't think you should be offended though. Be confident in your creations and tell them that once they see/taste your cakes you hope it's an easy decision to order from you. I agree though, if you don't want weddings cakes, feel free to say you aren't taking wedding orders now. Nothing wrong with specializing!

howsweet Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal21 
If you are going to do their wedding cake, you can simply reply with something along these lines. Thank you for your interest in XYZ Cakes. I look forward to making your cake a very special and unique centerpiece. My minimum order is xyz. Please feel free to look around and compare prices with local bakeries. Samples as well as testimonials of my work can be seen (     ) here.  If you would like to order, please contact me by (give a definite time) and we can discuss design, options and pricing.

That's nicely worded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGF 

I have had people contact me about wedding cakes and say they are just getting prices from varies bakers right now.

I'm not very patient when dealing with brides/bridezillas or their mothers.  I send them a nice email stating that I only bake Gluten-Free cakes, my prices, that wedding cakes require a signed contract and full payment prior to delivery.

I give no special deals because they are "shopping around".  For me this is business, not personal.  I don't want to be your best friend or bend over backwards to make them happy. I'm just not patient like that.  The last bride I dealt with said she was "easy & simple"  I disagree, I have visions of stabbing her LOL (kidding).  I couldn't wait to be done and over with her.  : )

Same here :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake 

Because they think it will.  Rightly or wrongly many view the industry as one where individuals solicit "competitive bids" for their project.  It simply reflects their way of thinking.  They do not "know" that your prices are set.  If someone thinks that you are simply offering them a bid price (or if they believe the industry is built on flexible pricing), they will act in accordance with that thinking--such as letting you know they are soliciting other bids to ensure you are offering your best "price."  

I understand. It just sounds like a really foolish thing to say on so many levels.  It's probably best I was in a situation that kind of forced me to carve out a niche in the birthday business (my mom was on hospice 3 years and I didn't want to risk having to cancel a wedding order at the last minute). I would definitely have to improve my attitude. I've never been a proponent of charging differently for wedding cakes, but the few I've done were way more work in terms of time spent with the customer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostedMoon 

Every wedding article recommends checking out multiple vendors, be it for cakes, a band, or the location. I think it's in part to let you know they "know what they are doing" and to make sure your prices are competitive/not hiked up just because it's a wedding. I don't think you should be offended though. Be confident in your creations and tell them that once they see/taste your cakes you hope it's an easy decision to order from you. I agree though, if you don't want weddings cakes, feel free to say you aren't taking wedding orders now. Nothing wrong with specializing!

I'm not offended - just annoyed. To me, it's like waving a huge banner saying, "I have never ordered cake before and guess what, I'm going to need lots of education and someone to hold my hand."  Not that there's anything wrong with that. But please don't imply that I'm a vulture who will sweep down and feasting on your delicate underbelly unless you put on a big act that you're worldly and cake savvy.  My selfish  thought is let someone else do that and when you've had your first kid come back to me and get a birthday cake. 

I appreciate it when a customer tells me she new to ordering fancy cakes. I'm happy to hold her hand and guide her.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 13

We get that sometimes, even with some non- wedding cake orders. I think they primarily do it to see how low you are willing to go, but it may also be somewhat of a disclaimer, like maybe they feel you need to know that you aren't the only company they are inquiring with. I usually just ignore that statement, it doesn't really need a response. Of course reply to the rest of the inquiry (basic pricing info, any other info they asked for) but just pretend like you didn't even see the "we're contacting other bakers too" comment. TMI. icon_wink.gif

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:02am
post #9 of 13

AI would take it as someone being upfront and polite. But I don't make cake s for business. This would be comjng from a potential customer standpoint. To me to actually call someone or contact someone instead of just looking at the website, is a big deal. to me it might be misleading you that I will definitely buy from you. So I would call ask you about prices, say I was also looking into other local bakeries and thank you for your time.

howsweet Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 1:23am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 

We get that sometimes, even with some non- wedding cake orders. I think they primarily do it to see how low you are willing to go, but it may also be somewhat of a disclaimer, like maybe they feel you need to know that you aren't the only company they are inquiring with. I usually just ignore that statement, it doesn't really need a response. Of course reply to the rest of the inquiry (basic pricing info, any other info they asked for) but just pretend like you didn't even see the "we're contacting other bakers too" comment. TMI. icon_wink.gif

And that's what I did. It was ok to let her know I was talking to other clients for her date, right? Just kidding! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

I would take it as someone being upfront and polite. But I don't make cake s for business. This would be comjng from a potential customer standpoint. To me to actually call someone or contact someone instead of just looking at the website, is a big deal. to me it might be misleading you that I will definitely buy from you. So I would call ask you about prices, say I was also looking into other local bakeries and thank you for your time.

That occurred to me, but here's a quote, "We have a of couple bakeries in mind but need pricing info. Once we decide on a good price we want to schedule a consultation right away."  I do get inquiries from considerate people like you and the entire tone of the email is totally different. When you put your contact info on the internet, you learn there are all kinds of people out there. I'm pretty sure I've even run across a couple of people who just like to order cake for fun. As in having me coming up with designs and sketches for their enjoyment. I guess sort of like how some people like to go look at new homes, ya know? It's a jungle out there.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 1:48am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

And that's what I did. It was ok to let her know I was talking to other clients for her date, right? Just kidding! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, absolutely! icon_lol.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:39am
post #12 of 13

I get requests like this EVERY SINGLE DAY.  My wedding pricing is on my website but people call and email daily to get pricing information.  I know they are checking out other bakeries and if they go with someone else, they go with someone else.   I had one consultation and gave them directions to the next cake shop they were going to because they didn't know where it was, just the street and part of the name.   

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:48am
post #13 of 13

AIf I'm shopping around or just looking for a price before getting further into my decision process, I will let the salesperson know so that they don't go to too much effort on my behalf. I can't stand feeling obliged to buy something because they already put in so much work and time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%