Cut Out Shapes On Fondant Cake Cover

Decorating By hawk21 Updated 15 Jul 2013 , 1:04pm by sixinarow

hawk21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hawk21 Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 6

I want to use some stencils to cut out shapes on the sides of a fondant that will cover my cake.  Do you do this before covering the cake or do you do it once it is place on the cake?

5 replies
DaLush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaLush Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 6

I have never done this before but in my opinion I would do it after applying the fondant to the cake, because when applying fondant it kind of stretches and pulls and you could lose the shape you are wanting... I would try and make your hand as steady as possible and then using a exacto blade or something like it to cut out your shape.... HTH Good Luck!

jessicastott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicastott Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 12:15am
post #3 of 6

AI did the same for my sons cake. I put the fondant on the cake first then applied the shapes with a bit of water. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3055384/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

hawk21 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 6

My intention is not to apply cut out shapes but rather cut out parts of the fondant that is applied to the cake's sides so that you see a bit of the buttercream (a contrasting color to the fondant).  I saw a photo of this and it is very interesting.

hawk21 Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 6

This is a photo of what I want to do.  My dilemma is how this is done.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk21 

This is a photo of what I want to do.  My dilemma is how this is done.

You either cover the cake in ganache or fondant before placing the top layer on. The carefully cut out the shape you want with an exacto knife making sure to not cut too deep. After you get the first cut out, it's easier to see the thickness your cutting through, but that first cut can be a little tricky. Just don't press too hard or you'll go through both layers.

Hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%