Retro Cake Flavors

Baking By CathyJohnson Updated 12 Jul 2013 , 6:50pm by CathyJohnson

CathyJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathyJohnson Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to replicate a wedding cake from 50 years ago for a 50th Anniversary.  They remember that one tier of the cake was banana, which I do have a recipe for, but they cannot remember what the other flavors were.  What were the traditional cake flavors from the 1960's?  I was thinking maybe carrot?  Maybe a spice cake?  Would love some advice and help with this one!

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 6

Is this in the US? It was very unusual back then to have a multi-flavored wedding cake. Actually, anything other than yellow or white was frowned upon. Apparently they were an adventurous couple. In the US, carrot cake was not popular then, but spice cake was, especially applesauce spice cake. German chocolate was popular but I don't know if that would have been a tier. Other flavors - devil's food, and the basic white, chocolate, and yellow cake.

CathyJohnson Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, this is the US, NY to be specific!

CathyJohnson Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 6

And Thank You very much!  I have been talking with their son who is going to be surprising them with the party and cake and much of the family is no longer around, including the uncle who did the original wedding cake.  Really appreciate your help!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 6

Three tier cake? It's really the idea behind making a similar cake that's important. If no one's around, then maybe the son could pick additional flavors his family prefers. 

(I'm in the Hudson Valley, NY. Close enough for me to swing by for a piece?)  icon_smile.gif  

CathyJohnson Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, a 3 tiered cake!  The original was 3 tiers on top of 3 other individual cakes that were probably 16" that were used as the base for the tiered cake. It is going to be for the first weekend in August!  ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%