Freezing Fondant Covered Cake With Luster Dust And Black Ribbon- Is It Ok?

Decorating By Snowberry Updated 23 Jul 2013 , 10:52am by susuc

Snowberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowberry Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 14

Hello!  Has anybody frozen a fondant covered cake sprayed with luster dust and vodka?  If so, did you have any problems with it running or causing streaks on the fondant after it thaws?  I also want to put black ribbon made of fondant/gumpaste onto the cake before freezing.  Do you think the black would bleed onto the luster dust sprayed cake when it thaws? 

My second option is to freeze the cake covered with fondant then thaw. Then, spray with the luster dust and vodka mixture and apply the ribbon the day before I leave. I am traveling 12 hours with this cake for my in-laws 50th Anniversary party and I was just hoping to be able to do as much ahead of time as possible.

I have attached a picture of the cake I'll be making so you can see.  I'll wait until I arrive at the party to attach the flowers and the bows of course. I have read most all the threads about freezing fondant cakes by wrapping and such.  I just couldn't find anything about luster dust spray and dark/black attached items.  Any advise you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

13 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 14

Can I ask why you want to freeze it? I wouldn't chance it with the luster dust. I wouldn't do it at all if I didn't have to. Maybe someone else has had experience with that but putting it in the freezer is always a gamble unless you really know what you are doing. 

Snowberry Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 14

I will be freezing the cakes ahead of time anyway and thought I could eliminate a few more steps the day before we leave for a 12 hour trip. I'll consider heavily your advise and consider spraying the luster dust on them after the cakes have thawed and assemble the decorations at that time. Thanks for your input! 

bct806 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 14

12 hours. Wow, yeah. I think I would be freezing it as well. If you box and wrap it properly, hopefully it won't be a problem. Can I ask how you made the design? As in software, etc.

Snowberry Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 14

No software.  I just purchased some clipart with a 50th Anniversary theme.  This cake design was in there and I decided to make the cake to match the clipart!  So, I've made favor boxes and lots of decorations and invitations using the clipart.  My friends will be so surprised when they see how it all goes together. :)  

SouthCoastCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthCoastCaker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 12:15am
post #6 of 14

Froze this guy for a week.  No room in the fridge, so defrosted him boxed on the counter.  He's all lustered and painted.  Came out exactly as he went in.

bct806 Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 1:30am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoastCaker 

Froze this guy for a week.  No room in the fridge, so defrosted him boxed on the counter.  He's all lustered and painted.  Came out exactly as he went in.

Is that chocolate or fondant?

SouthCoastCaker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 1:49am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

Is that chocolate or fondant?

Owl is covered in fondant.  Chocolate only for the ribbing on the top of his head.  First time with modeling choc, and I didn't like the workability of it, so switched to fondant for the rest.  Small details are gumpaste.

Snowberry Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 14

That is GORGEOUS!  THANKS!  I have decided, after reading your post and seeing your owl cake, to do a trial run today and make a small cake, freeze it with sprayed on luster dust and see what happens!  The worse that could happen is that we have a little cake we can eat, but at least I'll feel more comfortable knowing it might just work. :)  Thanks for sending the "evidence" and the owl is TRULY a work of art!  REALLY!!

SouthCoastCaker Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 14

Just make sure it is boxed, box wrapped in plastic wrap.  Defrost it in the box and wrap.  Don't touch it until it is completly dry.  If it's wrapped there should not be any condensation on the cake.  I was nervous - first time freezing a completed cake -  so I unboxed it a bit early just to check,  the fondant was a bit damp, but it dried fine.

Snowberry Posted 12 Jul 2013 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 14

I will do that, thank you so much!  :) I've got my box ready to go!

susuc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susuc Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 14

AI am an amateur ....traveling two and a half hours for my brothers wedding. Please explain if I need special wrap and box? I have frozen cakes unwrapped I the past, but just my kids bday cakes. This is a wedding cake. Outside wedding, hot and humid. Should I use BC or fondant ? Wanted to try a fondant ribbon but afraid it will fall. I make my own MMF. Thanks for any advice to this newbie!

bct806 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 14

AI would box and wrap it before freezing. And definitely use fondant. Buttercream will melt in the heat.

susuc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susuc Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 10:52am
post #14 of 14

AThanks ....as An amateur , I haven't boxed a cake..advice? Also, have you used the MMF in heat. Some have said it may melt and I should use a Crisco based buttercream or a fondant with gelatin. I am not sure on trying a new recipe. I have used Driscoll based BC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%