Baking Tools

Decorating By newbe86 Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 1:23am by newbe86

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 3

I am updating some of my baking and decorating supplies. I'm purchasing new measuring cups, spoons, things like that. I currently have plastic, should I buy stainless steel? Any ideas or tips?

2 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 3

I found a really nice set of heavy-gauge stainless steel measuring spoons, from tablespoon down to 1/8 teaspoon, at the local Sur La Table.


Generally, I use glass measuring cups (but the old plastic measuring spoons) when measuring oil, but transparent plastic cups when measuring water. I just use cheap plastic dry-measure cups for scooping flour or sugar.


Not a baking implement, by any means, but if you use the drippings from a roast, and need to de-fat the jus (or, for that matter, draw off the fat for making Yorkshire pudding), then I recommend a de-greasing cup (aka grease-separator, or gravy separator; it has a long spout that comes out of the bottom of the cup). And if you need to chop nuts, I recommend a good old fashioned hand-cranked nut chopper.

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 11 Jul 2013 , 1:23am
post #3 of 3

Awesome, thank you. Like I said, I'm just replacing some old stuff and can't make up my mind. My other things are old plastic.... Like 20 years old.

Quote by @%username% on %date%