Skull Cake Decorating!

Decorating By hydra234 Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 1:42am by BrandisBaked

hydra234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hydra234 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 10:17am
post #1 of 7

Hello!

Wonder if anyone could help me? I have hired a wilton skull cake tin and am looking to decorate it in a day of the dead style. I am guessing to do this I will need to use royal icing, but what is the trick to covering a cake properly, so things lie the sunken eyes and nose still show ( as you can tell I am a novice!)
Also, what tools would be needed for the decorating? Should I be using an icing or a special pen? I'm looking to put a rose in one of the eye sockets which I am semi confident about making but any tips on this and all the above would be hugely appreciated, Thank you!

Emma xx

6 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 1:44am
post #2 of 7

AI would use fondant to cover the skull, it would adhere to the shape of the skull.

NanaNori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaNori Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 1:53am
post #3 of 7

If  your talking "day of the dead" as in the Mexican stylized version...check your wilton website, they will have walk through directions on how to do the decorating.  I too recommend fondant to cover the skull.  be SURE to get a sturdy pound cake type reciepe as that will be MOST important. Your cake will need the density to hold together well. this was one of my "first tries" at the skull cake...just used powdered sugar. I did make the fondant bow and candy eyes.  But as you can see with the fondant...I think that it would have been MUCH better if I covered the whole thing ....

Happy halloween!

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 10:20am
post #4 of 7

AHi there I have made one of these. As it is quite an awkward shape to cover I used a 50/50 mix of sugarpaste (fondant) and white modelling chocolate so that I could blend and smooth into the eye crevices etc. I used a Madeira cake as the cake as it's a heavier cake, I did have to do a little extra carving to get it to the shape I wanted so be aware you may have to do that. I crumbcoated with ganache. This ensured that the two halves of the cake stayed together well as the join is more vertical than horizontal so presents it's own problems. I used alcohol based edible paint (I mix it myself with edible food dusts and isopropyl) to paint the cake. I painted the whole cake in a thin layer of white first as I wanted it to look like a paper mâché skull. The roses are just sugarpaste with a dragee in the centre. I didn't need to use modelling paste as the eye sockets held the shape of the rose. This was a really fun cake to make :) [IMG ALT="3D Calavera (Sugar Skull) Cake. Handpainted."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3083526/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

CassidysCakesAn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassidysCakesAn Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 7

ALook at SugarMama on fb. Hers are gorgeous! I don't know if she will be any help, but I think she covers hers in fondant and paints it as well.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 1:02am
post #6 of 7

AThanks ladies!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 1:41am
post #7 of 7

AI covered a styrofoam head form with royal icing to create a skull several years ago. It was really easy to pipe on and then use a damp paintbrush to manipulate and make perfect. I think I even have the step by step pics...

If royal is the way you want to go, let me know and I'll pull out some pics for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%