Ideas Anyone.....

Decorating By KarenK55 Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 3:26pm by bct806

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 9

Hi -Just received a call from a friend of mine. Her daughter is moving to New Mexico to teach, which also happens to be where her boyfriend who currently serves in the military lives and is currently overseas. Anyway, the theme they are going with is East (Massachusetts) meeting West (New Mexico) as a sending off party.   Stuck on what to do for a cake... possibly 50-75 people.  Wanted to come up with some ideas seeing that my friend doesn't have any idea on what she wants...just the theme. Thank you in advance

8 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 9

You could do a suitcase cake. Then "stickers" with things from each state. If she likes sports, do sports teams from each state. Otherwise you could go with state birds, flowers, mottos, etc. Or you could do something that looks like a moving box with the same idea. I don't know much about either state but that is what Google is for! :)

bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 9

The New Mexico state flag is quite easy to make.  Also what about desert plants, like cactus (yes, we have them here in the high desert of NM).

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 9

How about a flag with half New Mexico and Half Mass. with the state flowers and symbols on the tiers.

KarenK55 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 9

AThank you all for the great ideas. Meeting with my friend on Thursday. Will let you know how it goes.

KarenK55 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 9

oops-

KarenK55 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 9

Well here it is the finish product. My friend didn't want any flowers, not too much fondant, just some travel stickers, Tiffany blue color BC & 1/4 sheet cake double layer (I hope I said that correctly). However I did add the butterfly & daisey-it needed a little something.  I did call a few bakeries around the area and they quoted me anywhere from $30-$40. So I charged $35.  So with your help -bct806 & bsy bug - I did do the suitcase style.

Any thoughts weather you like the outcome or maybe what you would have done differently.  Always open to critiquing.

bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 9

KarenK55 - I think is came out lovely.  Not too overdone which I quite like.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 9

It turned out great! I agree with you on the butterfly daisy. It would look plain without them. I love the color. You definitely nailed the Tiffany blue. Only $35? Wow! I definitely would have charged more for it, but if that is what others in your area are charging then good for the customers. Did that cover the cost of your supplies?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%