Question For Ganache Users

Decorating By ebwmom Updated 7 Jul 2013 , 8:38pm by mcaulir

ebwmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebwmom Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 1:59am
post #1 of 11

Wanted to try using ganache for the first time so I made some last night.  I made the usual, 1 part cream to 2 parts chocolate, using half semi sweet chips and half milk chocolate chips.  First, I have to say it is delicious and I am surprised I had any left to ice my cake.  Today when I was using it as a filling it went on fine but when I put the second layer on top and started to ice it, the top layer was sliding around.  is that normal?   I pushed the top layer down a bit like I would  with my other cakes but it didn't help. The cake was a chocolate mud cake (first time for that too), so it was a little heavier than a normal cake.  I finally got it all iced and it seems to be fine now, although I am having a hard time not taking a fork and digging in because it looks so good.   So next time I use ganache, how do I stop the top layer from sliding around?

10 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 3:17am
post #2 of 11

Did you create a dam of frosting before putting the ganache on?

ebwmom Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 3:33am
post #3 of 11

bct,   no I did not put a dam down first.   Ahh ha, I didn't even think about that since the ganache wasn't a soft filling like I have used before.  Next time I will remember that.  Thanks

treatbakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treatbakeshop Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 3:40am
post #4 of 11

You shouldn't need a dam for ganache - it sets up firmer than buttercream. What was the consistency like? Ganache should be the consistency of smooth peanut butter. I've never had this problem and I use ganache on most of my cakes, so I'm only assuming it hadn't set up firm enough.

ebwmom Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 4:31am
post #5 of 11

treatbakeshop,   My ganache was probably a little thinner than smooth peanut butter but not by much.  I had it in the fridgerater for a few hours this morning but left it out for a while to soften up.  Of course it is hot now and I don't keep my house below 78, trying to save a few bucks on the cooling bill.  Should I have put the cake in the fridge to set up before icing it?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 4:36am
post #6 of 11

You should leave your ganache to set in the bowl for at least a number of hours - better overnight -  before using it. It shouldn't be slippery, and you don't need a dam.

Meant to say, set at room temperature, not in the fridge.

ebwmom Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 5:02am
post #7 of 11

mcaulir,  I left the bowl of ganache out last night but decided to put it in the fridge this morning for a couple of hours.  Don't know why, probably just to see how hard it would get.  Then I took it out and let it sit for a few hours to soften up again.  It was soft when I filled and iced the cake but it seems pretty set now.  Maybe I should have just left it out on the counter and not put it in the fridge at all.  I will definitely be using it again so next time I will just leave it out.  Thanks

mcaulir Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 6:47am
post #8 of 11

It depends on your weather, and type of chocolate, and maybe cream as well.

Next time, if the weather is warm, try using less cream for the amount of chocolate. That will make it set firmer. If it's any less firm than peanut butter, I find it too soft to use. I usually err on the side of too firm, because you can always microwave it to make it soft enough to use, but it takes longer to firm it up in the fridge if it's too soft to being with.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 11

I assume you guys are talking about whipped ganache? I have never done it poured....how well will that work under fondant? And since my cake will be shaped like a football will it go smoothly down the sides or be drippy??? Is it inappropriate for me to ask this question in someone else's post?

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by treatbakeshop 

You shouldn't need a dam for ganache - it sets up firmer than buttercream. What was the consistency like? Ganache should be the consistency of smooth peanut butter. I've never had this problem and I use ganache on most of my cakes, so I'm only assuming it hadn't set up firm enough.

Usually no, but if it was that thin I would have used one.

mcaulir Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I assume you guys are talking about whipped ganache? I have never done it poured....how well will that work under fondant? And since my cake will be shaped like a football will it go smoothly down the sides or be drippy??? Is it inappropriate for me to ask this question in someone else's post?

Ganache has different consistencies, depending on the ratios of cream and chocolate in it.

When you use 2:1 dark chocolate to cream (give or take) and let it set at room temp overnight, it comes to a firm consistency that is spreadable, and makes an excellent surface for covering with fondant. No whipping required.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%