Weigh Using A Kitchen Scale ?

Decorating By LoveonCloudCupcake Updated 31 Mar 2017 , 3:40am by beckylam

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 9

AOk I'm not an expert at using a kitchen scale. It confuses me to no end. I tried to make a recipe one time that had measurements in grams and cups. How exactly do you measure it? My weights were off in grams from the original post? I was filling my measuring cup up to the 1 cup line but came out higher than what it should've been. So what did I do wrong? Do I have to weigh the measuring cup first then subtract what that weighs?

8 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 9

AMost kitchen scales should have a tare button that can be used to account for the weight of the cup. Put the cup on the scale, hit the tare button, then measure the ingredients using that cup. If you use a different container, you have to tare again.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 12:06am
post #3 of 9

AAlso known as zeroing. My scale has a zero button.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 12:14am
post #4 of 9

If your recipe has the measurements in grams and cups for each ingredient, you use either grams or cups, not both.

So you put whatever bowl you're going to be mixing in on the scale, push the zero button, then add the ingredient until the scale reads 250g or whatever amount. Then you push the zero button again, and add the next ingredient and so on.

If some ingredients are given in grams, and some in cups, then use whatever measurment is given - perhaps grams for the butter, but cups for the sugar.

Edwin25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edwin25 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:21am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveonCloudCupcake 

Ok I'm not an expert at using a kitchen scale. It confuses me to no end.
I tried to make a recipe one time that had measurements in grams and cups.
How exactly do you measure it? My weights were off in grams from the original post? I was filling my measuring cup up to the 1 cup line but came out higher than what it should've been. So what did I do wrong?
Do I have to weigh the measuring cup first then subtract what that weighs?

There must be a tare or reset button that turn the scale at zero when you have a cup on that.You can use that button than you get the proper measurement for your recipe.Because in this way you get the exact weight excluding the cup weight.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 11:29am
post #6 of 9

You did not necessarily do anything wrong  A measurement for a cup of something is only rough.  It cannot be accurate consistently as the likely hood of your filling the cup exactly the same every time is unlikely.  Measurements using scales are accurate and will bring consistent results.  Imagine your cup is being filled with flour.  There will be air gaps in between the flour particles.  How much you pack the flour down will change how much flour is in the cup.  So even though you fill your cup to the same level each time the actual weight measurement will change.  That is why working in weights is much more preferable for consistent results.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 9

Weighing ingredients makes great results in baking.  Using the 'tare' function is nice & easy.

Consistent baked goods are the benefit.  I convert all of my new recipes to weight.

cookies for example:

put the mixing bowl on the scale, hit the tare button, scale goes to zero.

add butter/shortening, get the weight you want, hit the tare button, scale goes to zero.

add granulated sugar, get the weight you want, hit the tare button, scale goes to zero.

add brown sugar, get the weight you want, put on mixer and mix.

easy, less dishes to wash, quicker, most accurate method.  same batter every time.  Love to weigh.

Edwin25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edwin25 Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 7:19am
post #8 of 9

Why not you check the model number of your scale and then search on internet or manufacturer website hope you will find a way to adjust your scale. So that you get accurate measurement.

beckylam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckylam Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 3:40am
post #9 of 9

i love use the weight scale in my daily life

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%