Help Pricing Cake - New To This

Decorating By Parveen Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm by DeliciousDesserts

Parveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parveen Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,  I am fairly new to pricing as this will be my first paid order;  Here are the details of my cake;

- Supplies cost approx: $35

-The cake will be two round tiers
-Bottom tier is 12 inch round
-Top tier is 8 inch round

- Both tiers with fondant

- Sesame street theme cake with fondant cut out circles all around in different colors, gumballs around base of both cakes, with shooting stars and a few elmo ornaments.

I was thinking around $130 as this is first order.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

5 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 6

Prices are usually based on how many a cake serves first. Buttercream would be less per serving than fondant. Most people charge between $2-7 per serving. This should be based on comps in your area. Also, Sesame Street is copyrighted and can not be sold without permission from the copyright holder. It doesn't really matter if it is your first order or not. You should price accordingly so that you don't get sucked into undercutting yourself. It is a lot of work and I think 130 is under priced for all the work.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 6

If you are good enough to be selling, there is an entry level for your market.  You need to do a little local research to see what people are charging for your level of ability.  Seriously undercharging is a mistake which will haunt you down the road.  You need to charge like you are in business.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 6

ACheck the Pricing Formula and Copyright Law links in my signature below.

Also be sure you are compliant with local health and food safety laws, since in some states you may need to be licensed and inspected before selling food.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 6

AEdited: I was typing while others gave useful information. I'm slow :-) Check out Jason's information.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 6

A

Original message sent by Parveen

Hi everyone,  I am fairly new to pricing as this will be my first paid order;  Here are the details of my cake;

- Supplies cost approx: $35. [B]what do you consider supplies? Does that include license fees, insurance, utilities, dish soap, cake boards, parchment paper, & the fondant?[/B] -The cake will be two round tiers. [B]2 layer or 4 layer?[/B]
-Bottom tier is 12 inch round
-Top tier is 8 inch round. [B]do you realize how many servings that is. Don't mean to be snarky. 2" cakes will serve less than 4"[/B]

- Both tiers with fondant

- Sesame street theme cake with fondant cut out circles all around in different colors, gumballs around base of both cakes, with shooting stars and a few elmo ornaments.

I was thinking around $130 as this is first order.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%