Please Don't Write On Your Cakes With Pencil......

Decorating By maybenot Updated 1 Aug 2014 , 6:43pm by MBalaska

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 7:18am
post #31 of 41

A

Original message sent by Pyro

[QUOTE name="jason_kraft" url="/t/760524/please-dont-write-on-your-cakes-with-pencil/15#post_7411352"] Diamonds are pure carbon. Since humans are made up of carbon and we require carbon to live, it logically follows that diamonds should be perfectly safe to eat.

Seriously though, ingesting small amounts of rust (assuming it is iron oxide) won't hurt you, it takes much more than that to cause iron poisoning.[/QUOTE]

I wish I was rich enough to indulge in a diamond dinner, my plumber would freak out. And yes any health authority will tell you there is absolutely no problem with drinking rusty water from old pipes. You still wouldn't catch me dead using anything with rust on it in the kitchen. I'll go out of my way to replace something as simple as a plastic ruler into a stainless steel one, but I'm probably a minority.

I just think that the " there's worst out there, so what's the problem " is not a right way of thinking. To me it's like tossing a piece of garbage in the street because " 1 piece of garbage won't pollute the planet ". That's really my point, but I'm not on CC to preach to anyone. I just think the OP had a valid point. You could replace the word " pencil " with many more objects in different threads.

It's okay if some people don't agree with the OP, but it doesn't make it a frivolous post.

Is it wrong this thread had me cracking up? :)

And as far as tossing trash goes... Don't let me catch you because if there is a way, I will pick it up, and crack you in the face with it... Or at least toss it in your car and give you a filthy look and tell you not to litter. That gets my blood boiling!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 1:15pm
post #32 of 41

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Is it wrong this thread had me cracking up? :)

And as far as tossing trash goes... Don't let me catch you because if there is a way, I will pick it up, and crack you in the face with it... Or at least toss it in your car and give you a filthy look and tell you not to litter. That gets my blood boiling!

Yeah! I hate when people litter. And 'there's worse things you could do' doesn't fly as an excuse with me either. But there's no need to stop using pencil, the other tools that were suggested can't do some of the things you need a pencil to do, and there's no need to compromise your design when there's nothing wrong with a little pencil. If you don't want to use it, then don't, but know that there is no actual problem with you using it if you did want to.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:34pm
post #33 of 41

Ya'll are feeding the troll.  Nom nom.

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 4:07pm
post #34 of 41

At the sugar factory, I got to see where they bring in the raw sugar.

It's in a big metal barn, where trucks dump the sugar directly onto the concrete floor.

A huge tractor drives around and shovels it up to transfer onto a machine that begins the transportation through the disgusting factory.

You could say that the floor has been wash, the machine designated for barn only, etc. But you can't really deny all of the pigeons flying in and out through the entire factory. Nor the black goop that coats absolutely everything. I'd lick a pencil in a junk drawer much sooner than I would lick any of those machines!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 4:13pm
post #35 of 41

A

Original message sent by planetsomsom

At the sugar factory, I got to see where they bring in the raw sugar.

It's in a big metal barn, where trucks dump the sugar directly onto the concrete floor.

A huge tractor drives around and shovels it up to transfer onto a machine that begins the transportation through the disgusting factory.

You could say that the floor has been wash, the machine designated for barn only, etc. But you can't really deny all of the pigeons flying in and out through the entire factory. Nor the black goop that coats absolutely everything. I'd lick a pencil in a junk drawer much sooner than I would lick any of those machines!

That's why the raw sugar goes through a purification process using calcium phosphate to remove any impurities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_refinery

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 5:59pm
post #36 of 41

I couldn't find this thread last night and I thought perhaps it had been deleted. I was coming back to comment on it. The OP is always entitled to her opinion, but if someone wants to write on a cake with a pencil, she cannot stop that. In my opinion, the thought never crossed my mind to even try that...I'm not really sure that I like the idea, but I don't think that it would really hurt anyone...unless someone had a huge designer cake with pencils all over every day all day for the rest of their life...icon_cool.gif

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:39am
post #37 of 41

My *rule of thumb* is to use craft products where there is no REASONABLE alternative.

Truth of the matter is, there are different grades pigments, ingredients, adhesives - these different grades represent the Purity of the product. The purer the product, the closer it moves to Food Grade - and the more expensive it is as a result.

We're making decisions for other human beings - so while common sense is of course a factor, so it respect for our clients.

There - that's my soap box.

ChefRon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefRon Posted 1 Aug 2014 , 12:06pm
post #38 of 41

AI use faint pencil lines on pastiallge all the time to serve as reference points for final painting. The reason pencils are used by the nation's school systems is that they are non-toxic.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Aug 2014 , 12:28pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRon 

... The reason pencils are used by the nation's school systems is that they are non-toxic.

Interesting, thank you! I'd always thought pencils were made of lead, and lead is toxic. Apparently, pencils contain graphite.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Aug 2014 , 2:47pm
post #40 of 41

ABut not pure graphite. Graphite mixed with various binders and hardeners. Something I thought was common knowledge. But (as we all know from the small matter of Disco Dust), non-toxic doesn't necessarily mean "Good Eats."

Decades ago, a magazine (I think it was Consumer Reports, but I may be mistaken) ran an article, with a title to the effect of "Lead in pencils, but not in the lead," concerning the use of lead paint on the outside of some pencils. Of course, in all likelihood, you'd need a museum to find such a pencil today.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Aug 2014 , 6:43pm
post #41 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

"........Decades ago, a magazine (I think it was Consumer Reports, but I may be mistaken) ran an article, with a title to the effect of "Lead in pencils, but not in the lead," concerning the use of lead paint on the outside of some pencils. Of course, in all likelihood, you'd need a museum to find such a pencil today.

or just look into one of my desk drawers....I got some pretty old stuff in there.  :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%