First Huge Cake Order

Lounge By Norasmom Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 3:56am by CakeDolls

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 10

I got my first huge cake order today, for 150 people.  I am very excited and it will be quite a learning experience as I have not done a cake this large before.  It's for a nursing home celebrating 40 years in business and it will be buttercream with some hydrangeas and have a sculpture on top that I make out of RKT's. 

Luckily the order is for Sept. 13th, so I have plenty of time to plan and bake.  I'm bringing her my pans to show her the sizes tonight, but I think I will be making a 14 X 4", 12 X4" and 8 X4".  There will be other desserts there, so I won't be making a 200-serving cake (she expects 200 ppl.).

Wish me luck.

9 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 10

AGood luck, hope you charged enough!

Norasmom Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, I did, with your help Jason!  Thanks!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 10

ACongratulations! So exciting!

Royalicing101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Royalicing101 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

AAny pictures of the final product?..

Norasmom Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 10

AI will be sure to post a picture in Sept. when the cake is made.

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 5:56am
post #7 of 10

ACONGRATULATIONS!!!! that is so exciting, i know you will do a great job. can't wait to see pics of your cake in September. I'll be looking out for it.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 6:05am
post #8 of 10

that's exciting! good luck!

Norasmom Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 10

Well, I delivered the cake today, with help.  It was extremely heavy.  I still need improvement on my buttercream smoothing skills, but I survived and the customer seemed happy.  SPS is great!

The topper is a fountain, because they have a fountain in the center of the place where the party was held, at a nursing rehab center.

I am glad to have my kitchen back and now I know my favorite cakes to do are those for 100 people or under.  :D

CakeDolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDolls Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 3:56am
post #10 of 10

AGreat job. By any chance have you ever heard of using the paper towel brand "Viva" to smooth the buttercream. I too had issues smoothing my buttercream cakes and didn't get much practice since no many ordered many buttercream only cakes. Basically you let your buttercream Crust over place the napkin directly on cake and put your smoother to it, basically you keep on repeating all through out until it looks smooth. It worked great for me, (always make sure the buttercream is crusted & don't keep your open hand that is holding the napkin there for too long it may warm the buttercream) , if I find the tutorial for this I will post. Congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%