Chocolate Ganache Got Spoiled Even After Keeping Refrigerated... :( Plz Need Feedbacks Urgently As I Hv To Use It Tmw.... :(

Decorating By ambiroy Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 9:30am by ambiroy

ambiroy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambiroy Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 8:10am
post #1 of 6

Chocolate Ganache got spoiled after keeping refrigerated in an air tight disposable plastic box but it developed a layer of Fungus. Should I remove the top layer and use the rest for frosting or throw away the whole thing... :( Plz need feedbacks urgently as i hv to use it tomorrow.... :(  

Also incase i donot want to use it in Frosting, what other options do i have to utilise it....... the consistency is creamy spreadable like or also can be scooped out...... Any suggestions are welcome... :)

5 replies
Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 8:34am
post #2 of 6

Do NOT use the ganache if it has a fungus on it. "If in doubt throw it out" How long did you store it in the fridge? 

ambiroy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambiroy Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 8:39am
post #3 of 6

It was there in the refrigerator shelf (but not in the freezer compartment) for about a month.... I scrapped of the top portion and the rest appears to be fine. But hv doubts on wether to use it or not.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 9:24am
post #4 of 6

No, throw it away and don't even think about using it!


Just because you can't see it below the surface, doesn't mean it's not there, ganache is soft and has a higher moisture content than something like a hard cheese, which would be safe.

The mold will grow into it in tiny little tunnels, almost like roots. Even if it hasn't, scooping the top off is pretty much impossible to do with some cross contamination spreading to the remaining ganache.


It freezes very well, or butter ganache will last a lot longer than cream ganache in the fridge without spoiling.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 9:28am
post #5 of 6


THIS is a perfect example of WHY people should consider it necessary to attend some basic food handling/hygiene courses even if they are not intending on selling -  it WILL pay dividends even if it is just your own family.


Mould requires 3 things to develop  - mould spores(in the air) , moisture, and warmth


Mould can produce mycotoxins so it is extremely UNWISE to use.


I have used ganache for years and before I used it commercially in my cakes I did extensive testing under many different circumstances and have never had mould form -  some of the cakes with ganache were kept on the bench for over a month and no mould appeared.


I suspect either your recipe or method for ganache may be flawed.

ambiroy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambiroy Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 9:30am
post #6 of 6

Thanks a lot..... :) Lesson learnt well.... :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%