Need Help

Decorating By angelbutler Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 7:53am by angelbutler

angelbutler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbutler Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 3

HI, Someone wants this wedding cake, with these kinds of drapes. I cannot figure out really what they are. Are they pleats, and is it possible to make pleats in fondant/gumpaste so thin? Or is it separate strips made to look like one pleated drape?


Thanks in advance for any help/advice/anything. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, those are separate strips....see the sharp singular edges of each layer? If they were folds of a drape, they would have rounded over edges (yes you could sharpen them by folding it, but it would look different. Your photo shows the singular sharp edge).


Take about a 2.5" strip of gum paste and fold lighting into a U. The rounded part of the U goes in toward the cake and the edges both go outward to the viewers. Look at the last swag on the bottom cake........right there shows you how it's separated strips in U's. You would put a little water to adhere some of the rounded part of the U onto the side of your cakes


You could work this out in advance by using strips of paper towel to get your length and placement down before cutting your fondant/gumpaste.

angelbutler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbutler Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 7:53am
post #3 of 3

Thank you, perfect. I kind of thought so, but had a hard time seeing what was what. I'll try some practice shots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%