My Cake Loses Its Shape

Decorating By md21010 Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 1:09am by BatterUpCake

md21010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
md21010 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 13

AHi there! My cake starts to sag slighty after im finished decorsating it. I use ganache under fondant. Before I cover the cake in fondant I make sure my cake is at room temp. Any suggestions to keep my cake from sagging? Thank you!

12 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 13

How long are you letting them settle? I usually let mine set overnight and have never had a problem with them sagging.

md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:57am
post #3 of 13

Well I never new I had to let them settle.  But this last time I made a cake I let it sit at room temp for about 30 min before I covered with fondant. I normally use ganache under my fondant to so I was surprised that it started to sag. Idk what i'm doing wrong.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 13

AI'm not sure where you read to leave it at room temperature...it's quite the opposite. Your cake has to be cold, very cold.

Here's what I do...

- fill the cake and leave in the refrigerator for an hour. The buttercream or ganache will have hardened. - cover with buttercream or ganache. Because the buttercream/ ganache inside the cake is hard the layers will not move when your cover it with buttercream/ ganache. - leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours...better result if overnight. - brush the ganache with a very thin coat of hot water to make it sticky. If don't use hot water when I use buttercream. - cover with fondant.

You will have much better results.

MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 13

A...and if your fondant is thin it will not crush the cake.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC 

I'm not sure where you read to leave it at room temperature...it's quite the opposite. Your cake has to be cold, very cold.

Here's what I do...

- fill the cake and leave in the refrigerator for an hour. The buttercream or ganache will have hardened.
- cover with buttercream or ganache. Because the buttercream/ ganache inside the cake is hard the layers will not move when your cover it with buttercream/ ganache.
- leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours...better result if overnight.
- brush the ganache with a very thin coat of hot water to make it sticky. If don't use hot water when I use buttercream.
- cover with fondant.

You will have much better results.

The onetime I used fondant on a cold cake it sweated like crazy. You don't have that problem?

MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 13

ADepending on the temperature ( humid or hot) it can happen...But never like crazy.

But when it's dry, I don't have this problem at all.

When I'm done with the cake, I put the cake back in the fridge and it removes any stickyness on the fondant.

You should try it again.

md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 13

I did have my cake sweat also and I didnt know waht to do about that.

md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 13

So after you cover with fondant you put it back in the fridge? I thought fondnat shouldnt be refrigerated?

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:38am
post #10 of 13

I refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes.  They do sweat a bit during summer months(not so much during fall and winter) since I am in Texas and it is pretty hot but it goes away after about a hour of being out of the fridge.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:40am
post #11 of 13

ABut once the fondant gets wet it gets shiny...

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 1:03am
post #12 of 13

The shininess is the condensation and if you let it come to room temp, about a hour, it will dull back down and not be shiny.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 1:09am
post #13 of 13

A

Original message sent by reginaherrin

I refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes.  They do sweat a bit during summer months(not so much during fall and winter) since I am in Texas and it is pretty hot but it goes away after about a hour of being out of the fridge.

Hmmm I'll give it another try. It is certainly easier to work with a cold cake. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%