How Do I Even Begin????

Decorating By vianrey Updated 23 Jun 2013 , 12:07am by vianrey

vianrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vianrey Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 4:35am
post #1 of 10

ASo Im a hobby baker and my nieces sweet 16 is coming up and she wants me to make her this beauty and the beast cake. The only problem is that I have never made a cake this huge ans I have no idea where to start?? I just have so many questions lol like do they sell.edible.pearls? How would I stack a sphere cake like that or how do I stack this cake period.....please help!!!!!!

9 replies
vianrey Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 4:35am
post #2 of 10
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 9:28am
post #3 of 10

Wow!  That is quite some cake!

How many servings do you need?  Because just the bottom two would provide quite a lot - which might mean that you could get away with using styrofoam ball dummies for the round parts, which would make everything much easier for you.

I would make it by making the base cake, a styrofoam dummy separator, second cake, two more dummy separators, and then either dummies or cake baked using the ball pan.

I don't know if you have experience with the SPS but that is reputed to be fantastic for stacking bigger cakes.  Otherwise I would put a reasonably thick food-grade PVC pipe from the board all the way up through the cake, then dowel and board between each individual tier.

The larger pearls look like they're formed from fondant using a mold.  You can buy various molds at most cake decorating shops.  The pearls can be dusted with pearl dust to give them the sheen.  It is possbile to buy pearly dragees to stick on individually too, if you prefer.

This cake will cost you a lot in terms of ingredients and tools so be prepared.  It will also take a long time to make.  You should also consider how you plan to transport it to the location of the party.

Have fun!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 11:13am
post #4 of 10

AGreat advice, Lizzie.

I would also use styrofoam for the rose tier. There is a thread which has lots of flower tutorials available. I would tackle those first. That gives them time to dry.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 11:37am
post #5 of 10

I think crafty did a tutorial on how to do a perfect sphere..I used it and it had some great hints.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 10

AWe've had a few of these ambitious first big cake posts lately! Hmmmm....

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir 

We've had a few of these ambitious first big cake posts lately! Hmmmm....

Agreed.  How many people would be able to build that out of actual materials (not cake and icing) and have it come out looking that good?  Why would anyone with common sense think that it would take the same level of skill to make it out of food?? And I'm not referring to the original poster - I am referring to relatives of cakers who think if you can bake anything, you must be able to make something like the photo above.  Mind boggling.

Liz

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir 

We've had a few of these ambitious first big cake posts lately! Hmmmm....

I was thinking the same thing. I don't consider myself a beginner (no expert either!), but I would be really hesitant to tackle something so big and complex, especially for someone's wedding. If you mess that up, you mess up a very important day! Too stressful for me!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 10

ABeauty and the beast! The exact colour of Belle's dress, and the rose under glass.

*note the correct apostrophe usage ;-)

vianrey Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 12:07am
post #10 of 10

AThanks for all the great advice, and I've tried showing her other cakes and she is stuck on that one, what I told her was that maybe I could only do one sphere instead of the two and she said it was fine. Now the spa system I've used before, but when I've stacked the cake the plate shows on the bottom why is that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%