Sugar On Fondant?

Decorating By Baking Sis Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 5:54pm by Baking Sis

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 5

My youngest daughter (okay, she will be 25!) loves anything strawberry.  I am wondering if it is possible to make strawberries from fondant and then coat them with sugar.  A few years ago I tried real strawberries covered in chocolate on her cake, which she loved...but by the time I traveled over an hour to give her the cake, the strawberries had started to 'weep'.  She didn't care, but I thought it looked bad.

If it is possible to coat fondant with sugar, what kind of sugar is best?  And can it be done a few days ahead of time? 

Thanks to all the experience cakers that are so willing to share their knowledge! Much appreciated!!! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 5

I have seen fondant cakes covered in sprinkles so I don't think sugar would be a problem. You could do crystal sprinkles on it. I have some that look like a clear version of sugar in the raw. 

Baking Sis Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 5

Crystal sprinkles!!! That is a good idea; thank you so much!

getonthemove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getonthemove Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 5

I covered a fondant cake with sanding sugar.  I just brushed the fondant with some water to make it tacky and then pressed the sanding sugar to it to make it stick.  I did the day before the party and the cake had to travel 70 miles away before we ate it.

Good luck with whatever you try.

Baking Sis Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your info!  I was wondering if I could make them up a few days ahead; at least I now know they can be done the day before.icon_biggrin.gif  Less stress for this ol' gal. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%