Popular Wedding Cake Styles

Business By Stitches Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 1:38pm by kaylawaylalayla

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 10

I sell a line of 'modest' wedding cakes, in addition to completely custom wedding cakes. I have a cake book that I give to sell to wholesale clients where I have around 30 cake designs that I'll do for this lower priced non-custom line of cakes. I also have an abbreviated line of 'modest' designed wedding cakes on my website https://wendy-debord.squarespace.com/simple-wedding-cakes/ there. These cakes are not customizable at all other then the client can choose which ribbon they want from me. I have VERY limited cake flavors available and no fondant cakes in the group.

Here's my questions to you all; Sometimes I worry that I'm out dated since I'm in my 50's now. Even though I keep up on current styles, are there any really popular wedding cake designs you do that you think I'm missing? Again, only designs that fit into a modest easy to do cake.

tia

9 replies
Stitches Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 10

Is anyone doing a three dot pattern anymore?

I also want to do the piped rosette design alternating with a plain undecorated tier. But I've yet to have anyone ask for that. Would that be popular with the younger brides?

debcons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debcons Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 10

AThey are lovely I so prefer simple designs.

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 10

Agree with debcons, I love simple designs.  I know when I get married that it's not going to be over the top - going for simple elegance.  Maybe even rustic, I have a feeling that it's going to be more of a bush/camping party with a big bonfire and kegs of beer.  But then again I am a little bit redneck lol.

Back to topic though, the piped rosette design alternating with a plain tier would be absolutely gorgeous.  You might not have any requests for it now but if you add it to the line-up I'm sure you'll start getting orders.  Myself and my girlfriends who have marriage in the somewhat near future would definitely love the idea of just picking a 'modest' cake out of a line-up and not having to worry about it after that.

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 10

Your cakes are absolutley gorgeous. I didn't see anything out of date. Very crisp and clean and that never goes out of style!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 10

the other basic buttercream design I could see adding to your line up is the horizontal rouching design that comes from taking an offset spatula/palette knife and slowly bringing it up while turning the cake on the turntable.  It mimics the rouching on wedding dresses and I have had it requested quite often.  

lovely cakes!  

Stitches Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:39am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann 

the other basic buttercream design I could see adding to your line up is the horizontal rouching design that comes from taking an offset spatula/palette knife and slowly bringing it up while turning the cake on the turntable.  It mimics the rouching on wedding dresses and I have had it requested quite often.  

lovely cakes!  

Oh that's a good one! I'll have to add that!!

thanks for the kind words......

Stitches Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:44am
post #8 of 10

I'd like to offer an ombre' style where the frosting is just applied with a spatula and not piped. But I'm concerned I'm opening myself up to headaches with color matching and under selling my custom cakes. Is anyone selling ombre' wedding cakes?

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 10

AIf you do ombre show the pics of the colors that you offer it in, and then more specific colored cakes are custom.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 10

AP.s. all your cakes are beautiful and I love the names.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%