First "real" Cake

Decorating By curlingpenguins Updated 30 Jul 2013 , 3:44pm by hbquikcomjamesl

curlingpenguins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curlingpenguins Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone. I'm new to posting here but I've been lurking for a bit doing some research for a baby shower cake I was planning to make. This was my first time making a layered cake and my first time using fondant. I do a lot of baking, but I focus more on cookies, cupcakes, etc. I'm definitely burnt out from doing this cake (I did it in tandem with two batches each of Oreo truffles and cake balls), but I'm definitely looking forward to making more in the future, especially now that I've had some experience with fondant! icon_biggrin.gif Anyways, here's a picture of the cake. What do you think?

13 replies
curlingpenguins Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 14

AI should probably clarify, I'm not a professional by any means and this was for a friend's baby shower. Baking is a hobby for me :)

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 14

It's very cute - love the colors! Your fondant looks very smooth!

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 14

Very nicely done... great job!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 14

It looks great, it looks professional, with clean lines.

NHQUEEN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NHQUEEN Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 14

Wonderful Job!!

amybroughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybroughton Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 14

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3036935/width/200/height/400[/IMG] This is a picture of my first cake using fondant, I would love to hear some feedback on it! Thanks, Amy

webby2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webby2013 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 14

AThe cake turned out brilliant like the how the colours compliment each other very gd for a first main cake.I'm in the same place as you I usaully did cookies and cupcakes and decide I would make a couple of main cakes and they turned out better than expected my I had no complaints from my customers so all gd it gets abit stressfull at times but I love to do it and hopefully will progress as time goes by. and this website helps me get what I need to do with the great ppl on here who are always willing to help and give out tips and techniques and amy your cake looks great looks very elegant. ( Great job all round )

amybroughton Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 14

A

Original message sent by webby2013

The cake turned out brilliant like the how the colours compliment each other very gd for a first main cake.I'm in the same place as you I usaully did cookies and cupcakes and decide I would make a couple of main cakes and they turned out better than expected my I had no complaints from my customers so all gd it gets abit stressfull at times but I love to do it and hopefully will progress as time goes by. and this website helps me get what I need to do with the great ppl on here who are always willing to help and give out tips and techniques and amy your cake looks great looks very elegant. ( Great job all round )

Thank you very much! I also just made cookies and cupcakes for family and friends and have recently started making larger cakes for birthdays and parties and am really enjoying it, although I still have a lot to learn!

curlingpenguins Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 14

AThanks everyone! I rolled the fondant a bit thin and it tore in a few places but it wasn't something well-placed circles couldn't hide :)

My friend is obsessed with zombies and monsters and her nursery theme is Peek-A-Boo monsters (I know they're available at Buy Buy Baby), so I figured it'd be perfect to use that theme. The eyes and smiles were torture! I should have just piped them, but oh well.

Amy, your cake looks really good! I haven't braved tiers yet, maybe one day!

amybroughton Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 14

A

Original message sent by curlingpenguins

Thanks everyone! I rolled the fondant a bit thin and it tore in a few places but it wasn't something well-placed circles couldn't hide :)

Amy, your cake looks really good! I haven't braved tiers yet, maybe one day!

Thank you very much- I was very nervous about doing a three tier especially for my first fondant cake! Your cake is also amazing for your first one!

webby2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webby2013 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 14

AYeah mine tore on the edges of the cake to I stressed out lol like you said I was able too hide them I've got a lot to learn too but this website helps me a lot I'd be lost without it lol

dragnfli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragnfli Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 14

So tell me how you're able to use the Peek-A-Boo Monsters since they're copyrighted?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 14

I'm not an intellectual property lawyer, nor do I play one on television (nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express within recent memory), but I'm guessing that because it wasn't done commercially, and no money changed hands, and no material damage was done to the copyright owner's ability to profit from the characters, it would fall under the category of "Fair Use."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%