"character" Cakes

Lounge By segarner Updated 18 Jun 2013 , 3:32pm by jason_kraft

segarner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
segarner Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 2

I have dilemma...I have received several requests to do character cakes like Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Backyardigans, etc. however, I have turned these requests down because I do not have an agreement with the studios/companies that own these to produce these cakes with exact images.  But, I know that other bakers where I live (that are home-based under the new Colorado Cottage Foods Act), are doing these cakes.  So, my question is this:  If you do not work for a bakery that has a licensing agreement, i.e., a grocery store, do you make character cakes?  Do you not need a license agreement to make these, or, do you just try to "fly under the radar" and make these without an agreement?  Thanks in advance for the feedback/advice!

1 reply
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 2

AYou don't necessarily need a formal licensing agreement, but you do need permission from the copyright owner to reproduce the character -- some copyright owners allow this for free, some will ask for a license fee, and some won't allow it at all.

Some bakeries regularly infringe copyrights and do not ask for permission, this opens them up to a potential lawsuit from the copyright owner, or more likely a C&D letter and/or a legal settlement.

In my experience it's better to ask the customer to secure the permission, that way they blame the copyright owner instead of you if they get turned down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%