How Do I Do This?

Decorating By knf21583 Updated 17 Jun 2013 , 7:01pm by Annabakescakes

knf21583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knf21583 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 3:31am
post #1 of 10

Hi all, I'm fairly new here, and I have a customer who is requesting a cake similar to this style for her daughter's first birthday. I've informed her I don't copy exact replicas, and I will do my own interpretation of the cake, but I realized the border on the bottom of the cake tiers, I can't even imagine how to do that! I've never seen one like that before, and I was wondering what the style is called and if anyone had any tips or links to tutorials on how to execute it. Thanks in advance to all those who help answer :)

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 3:40am
post #2 of 10

Hi, i see it on her other cakes. It is also on top tier of this cake for border. Maybe it is tip 47, not  using the serrated side. Just try that and see what it does. That is what i am seeing. Touch cake base, give good pressure, move  down a liltte, stop pressure and then keep at this pace. It may not be, but i think it is. hth

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 3:48am
post #3 of 10

That looks like a fondant border. It's like a roller tool (like a tiny ravioli cutter) left the impressions and then they cut a thin strip of it and placed it around the base of the cake.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 3:52am
post #4 of 10

Looks to me like a long thin roll of fondant placed around the bottom of the cake and then they took a small oval (or oval with pointed ends) tool of some sort and poked it every half inch or so, the pressing making the marks.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 10

I'd make a long fondant roll in the size you need for the border, the go to work on it with a teaspoon.  Press the spoon into the fondant every half inch or so and pull back with a bit of pressure.  It would take some practice, but it is doable.  It might also take some testing to get the right size and shape of spoon.  After impressing the design I'd let it dry a bit on the table before moving it to the cake so as to avoid stretching and distortion of the pattern.  HTH

SherryWebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherryWebb Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 10

To me ... and I am fairly new as well, this almost looks like ribbon insertion? Here is a youtube tutorial for it

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 10

Looks to me like its some form of stencil cut.  If you look at cake, other parts look like she has used cutters or cricut machine to create those effects.  She possibly did the same thing for the borders on both tiers.


Or since I don't own anything that resembles that, I would make a long fondant strip, Gently fold it under from the sides to give that roundish look allow it to dry slightly to hold the look, then cut strips and place on cake.

Peanut-Butter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut-Butter Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 10

ACrimping tool?

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 10

I bet it's a mold.  I didn't look long enough to find it, but here is one that is kinda similar..

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 10

AI think it is a mold, probably a homemade one. You could make one with a fake rhinestone band, or just make a fondant strip, set it next to a ruler and every centimeter just make a small city in it with a wedge shaped cutting tool, then tap your spoon that cakeyouverymuch suggested along the edge between the cuts, and then switch sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%