Help Deciphering An Old Recipe

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 2:09am by Stitches

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 6:02am
post #1 of 9

I found an old handwritten recipe for American Buttercream that my mom thinks could be my grandmother's or possibly my great grandmother's. The problem is the writing is smeared and faded mostly on the measurement side of the recipe, so we're trying to put it back together. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with the ratios if they sound right?

Here's what we've come up with, we're pretty sure about everything until the powdered sugar, the writing is really faded after that.

1 c shortening

2 c butter

2 t vanilla

1 t almond

3 lb powdered sugar

1 - 2 egg whites

2 T cream

Thanks for any help, it would be really neat to reclaim an old recipe!!

8 replies
Lovebug2867 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovebug2867 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 6:08am
post #2 of 9

Most buttercream recipes do 1 cup fat (butter or shortening) to 1 pound sugar so that all looks ok.  I would probably use meringue powder instead of egg whites and you'd most likely need more than 2 T of cream

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 6:25am
post #3 of 9

AI would say its 2lbs of sugar, around 8 cups.

Original message sent by sixinarow

I found an old handwritten recipe for American Buttercream that my mom thinks could be my grandmother's or possibly my great grandmother's. The problem is the writing is smeared and faded mostly on the measurement side of the recipe, so we're trying to put it back together. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with the ratios if they sound right?

Here's what we've come up with, we're pretty sure about everything until the powdered sugar, the writing is really faded after that.

1 c shortening 2 c butter 2 t vanilla 1 t almond 3 lb powdered sugar 1 - 2 egg whites 2 T cream

Thanks for any help, it would be really neat to reclaim an old recipe!!

brendajarmusz Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 6:57am
post #4 of 9

AThat is basically the same recipe i use except in place of the egg whites i use meringue powder. But if that is an old recipe then im sure they would have used the egg whites cuz there wasn't much concern for eggs making you sick then as there is now with salmonella. But i use the 2 lbs ( 8 cups) with that ratio if the weather is odd i may need to add more sugar or more liquid. Hope that helps. It's a fantastic recipe!!!!

brendajarmusz Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 6:59am
post #5 of 9

AFeel free to write back if you have any other questions

brendajarmusz Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 7:03am
post #6 of 9

AOops sorry for all the messages but i just noticed on the cream i use 6 tablespoons for the 2 pounds of sugar but because it has egg whites wich is liquid i would start out with 3 tablespoons of cream with that recipe and if you need more sugar or cream you can add it.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all! :)

I will definitely sub meringue powder for the egg whites!! It looks like it could say 2 oz of cream but I might start with tablespoons and add as I go. We'll see how this turns out, kind of fun to play detective and would be really neat if this turns out to be a go-to recipe with history!

I love seeing the little notes at the bottom of the recipe ... "do not need to store in ice box" makes me smile! icon_smile.gif

Thank you!!

brendajarmusz Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:18am
post #8 of 9

AThat's so awesome, i have always loved old recipe boxes with old recipes in it and old recipe books. Our grandparents and great greats really knew how to cook and use what they had on hand. I love it. I'm happy for you. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 2:09am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Thank you all! :)

I will definitely sub meringue powder for the egg whites!!

Use pasteurized egg whites, that will give you the texture your original recipe had....and they are totally safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%