Pricing Question

Business By kvand Updated 31 Oct 2016 , 4:40pm by Pastrybaglady

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 11:44pm
post #61 of 108

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

Just curious who you are replying to...so your advice is to undercut other bakers? Tsk Tsk....

Undercutting other bakers is fine if you have lower costs and are serving a customer base further downmarket than those bakers.

Pyro is arguing against basing prices strictly off other bakers without consideration of your own cost structure or who you are targeting.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:16am
post #62 of 108

ACharging what your cake is worth based on your skill level is not undercutting... Obviously I am not going to charge $8 a slice for a child's simple BC piped birthday cake as compared to an elaborate wedding cake. But according to most here undercutting based on the fact that you have no overhead is not acceptable to them. I was repeatedly told this when they thought this is what I was doing when I was trying to explain that I charge based on my skill level and fair market value

jason_kraft Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:20am
post #63 of 108

A

But according to most here undercutting based on the fact that you have no overhead is not acceptable to them.

That's because you do have overhead. No business has zero overhead.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:31am
post #64 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

That's because you do have overhead. No business has zero overhead.

This. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:38am
post #65 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Charging what your cake is worth based on your skill level is not undercutting... Obviously I am not going to charge $8 a slice for a child's simple BC piped birthday cake as compared to an elaborate wedding cake. But according to most here undercutting based on the fact that you have no overhead is not acceptable to them. I was repeatedly told this when they thought this is what I was doing when I was trying to explain that I charge based on my skill level and fair market value

No, it's not undercutting. Let's be clear what undercutting is. Knowingly charging less than baker down the street for the simple fact that you want the job, whether it is a profitable job to take on or not. Consistently underbidding when you hear of another decorator's quote. Saying you will "not be beat" when it comes to pricing. That's undercutting.

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:42am
post #66 of 108
Quote:

Charging what your cake is worth based on your skill level is not undercutting... Obviously I am not going to charge $8 a slice for a child's simple BC piped birthday cake as compared to an elaborate wedding cake. But according to most here undercutting based on the fact that you have no overhead is not acceptable to them. I was repeatedly told this when they thought this is what I was doing when I was trying to explain that I charge based on my skill level and fair market value

No, it's not undercutting. Knowingly charging less than baker down the street for the simple fact that you want the job, whether it is a profitable job to take on or not. Consistently underbidding when you hear of another decorator's quote. Saying you will "not be beat" when it comes to pricing. That's undercutting.

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:43am
post #67 of 108

Eh, actually it's a broader definition, in my opinion. Ignorance of good pricing and not knowing that you're super cheap in relation those around you of similar skill set is undercutting too. Might not know you're doing it, but there's that.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:31am
post #68 of 108
Quote:

I could not use this because I am new at this and sloooooow..lol. If I charged even $10 an hour for my time my prices would be outrageous. Luckily I enjoy doing it and consider myself blessed that someone is willing to pay me for what I would love to do. I used to just make them for fun and give them away. I will get quicker with practice...I do enjoy reading all of these posts with different ideas. I am tryingto come up with a pricing page for my website...but am still doing research. I shopped around yesterday for a graduation cake I did and the prices were all over the page. But I found all but 1 charged more than I do and the bakery with an actual storefront charged double. Since many of these were probably unlicensed bakers I figure my price should be somewhere in the middle.

I consider this devaluing the market. Your still making cakes for fun since you have no over head like your local bakery does, and you don't even pay yourself a similar wage the bakery owner pays to hire a decorator. You're knocking the bakery owner and the cake decorator out of a job.

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:53am
post #69 of 108

Well, I am running my business out of my home (legally) and I am in no way undercutting or undercharging for my cakes.  I have done a complete market analysis of my area and am charging comparable prices to local storefronts in my area.  I want to get paid what I am worth and what my cakes are worth.  I am a legitimate business.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 1:58am
post #70 of 108
Quote:

Just curious who you are replying to...so your advice is to undercut other bakers? Tsk Tsk....

No, in my eyes someone undercutting is someone who won't even pay themselves a living ( of at least minimum wage ) while producing anything and selling it on the market.

If you're running high volume you can buy in bulk and reduce your base ingredient costs. Produce faster, lowering your labor costs on the product. This is achieved with experience and better working methods. These things alone would allow you to have a lower sticker price on a similar item then a competitor. It makes you competitive, it's not undercutting.

If you can only provide a cheaper product because you don't account for your true costs and you don't pay yourself, then you're undercutting. Even if you run under a CFL you have overheads. Leave your over on at 350 for 10 hours a day for the next month, do the same with your lights and flush down a bunch of water, hook up a few more fridges. Let me know if your utility bill goes up. If you use 10% of your home square footage as your second kitchen, 10% your mortgage is for your business.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 2:53am
post #71 of 108

AI am not undercutting. This has all been discussed. My cakes are priced at market value. I make a profit but because I take longer I am not making $10 an hour. This is a sea horse. How could I be undercutting anyone if I am charging the same price. A baker that makes a cake in an hour and makes a $20 profit is making the same amount of$$$ just a higher hourly rate. It may take me 2 or maybe even 3 hours to make the same $20 profit. It's simple economics

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:00am
post #72 of 108

ALet me make this clear!!!! In no way am I undercutting if I am charging the exact same as another baker. And I don't know why my autocorrect changed a sentence to "it's a seahorse". The comments I was making if anyone took the time to read the were referring to illegal home bakers.

jason_kraft Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:02am
post #73 of 108

A

Let me make this clear!!!! In no way am I undercutting if I am charging the exact same as another baker.

What if the other baker is also undercutting market value?

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:06am
post #74 of 108

AOh my fricken god people!!!! I checked on my last cake with SEVERAL bakers. I was slightly below the top tier bakery and they were booked til August. Why are you all sooooo convinced I am undercutting anyone.

jason_kraft Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:09am
post #75 of 108

A

Oh my fricken god people!!!! I checked on my last cake with SEVERAL bakers. I was slightly below the top tier bakery and they were booked til August. Why are you all sooooo convinced I am undercutting anyone.

But I found all but 1 charged more than I do and the bakery with an actual storefront charged double.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:15am
post #76 of 108

AYes Jason but I LEARNED from that and have charged differently on the last 2 cakes I made and on the 2 I have due on Sat. I said in that post I was in the process of researching my pricing process. Did I not?

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:18am
post #77 of 108

ABut I still cannot charge the same as the top bakery... They have made a name for themselves and have high demand and are booked months in advance. Just as most bakers will never be able to charge what cake boss dude does

jason_kraft Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:20am
post #78 of 108

A

Yes Jason but I LEARNED from that and have charged differently on the last 2 cakes I made and on the 2 I have due on Sat. I said in that post I was in the process of researching my pricing process. Did I not?

Very true, hope this discussion has been helpful for you and you look into your cost structure in addition to the prices charged by competitors.

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:38am
post #79 of 108

You are stuck on this thing about being cheap. The opening line of your Facebook page says you are cheaper than the bakeries. Why? Why is that the image you want to present?

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:39am
post #80 of 108

AIt has been helpful. That's what I'm here for to learn from hose experienced in running a business.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:40am
post #81 of 108

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

You are stuck on this thing about being cheap. The opening line of your Facebook page says you are cheaper than the bakeries. Why? Why is that the image you want to present?

I did not realize that was up there still. Thank you for pointing that out

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:40am
post #82 of 108

I'm not beating up on you. I really am not. I don't think there is a person in here that is malicious, unless they are a troll. But I'm not a sugar coating hand holder either. But why this insistence on broadcasting your cheap pricing?

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:41am
post #83 of 108

Ok, that's good.

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:45am
post #84 of 108

Love your cover photo...that looks like it was a neat event. :)

Stitches Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 3:48am
post #85 of 108
Quote:

It has been helpful. That's what I'm here for to learn from hose experienced in running a business.

Why was it then when I called this to your attention you called me a "snob"?

Stitches Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 4:02am
post #86 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Love your cover photo...that looks like it was a neat event. :)

I hope that was tongue in check.............most of the photos on her face book page don't appear to be hers ;)

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 4:04am
post #87 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

I hope that was tongue in check.............most of the photos on her face book page don't appear to be hers ;)

No, I didn't look very much further than her cover pic. Whoops. No, that was a genuine compliment. I couldn't bring myself to be helpful and snarky in my very next post. :D

AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 4:09am
post #88 of 108

Oh boy....yeah, ok that's a whole 'nother can of worms, Batterup. You really should get all those pics that aren't yours out of your albums. That can cause you some serious trouble with the owners of the photos.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 4:15am
post #89 of 108

because your comment was insulting and as Jason pointed out the difference is amateur doesn't get paid. You also thought the entire post was mine.

If your not ready to charge for your actual time because you're slow/new that's o.k., but that's the difference between being an amateur and being a professional.

I inform people those pictures arent mine...just starting out I don't have a lot of pictures and did not own a camera until I started this. My Iphone camera hasn't worked in over a year.

Don't understand why anyone would feel the need to be snarky at all...I have taken most of the advice that has been given to me here.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 4:24am
post #90 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Oh boy....yeah, ok that's a whole 'nother can of worms, Batterup. You really should get all those pics that aren't yours out of your albums. That can cause you some serious trouble with the owners of the photos.

yeah you are probably right....although people use pics from Google searches all the time it is probably different if you use it to make money...I was hoping it would fall under the "Fair Use" doctrine since it is only a portion of a website. Well tonight I just need to go to bed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%