Battle Of The Bulge

Decorating By andysings Updated 8 Jun 2013 , 2:48am by leah_s

andysings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysings Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 4

I'm fairly new at this fondant thing.this is my thrid fondant cake and first major disaster. Have three family members graduating so of course I offered to make a cake. Thought it was going pretty will until I got ready to finish by putting on the lettering when I saw the BULGE. I used italian BC under the fondant and the MMF I got from this site and used before (Yo Gabba Gabba Cake). I have a feeling that in the mornng the BULGE is going to be worse. It's going to be hot tommorrow and my poor little cake won't have a chance.I had it out for a couple of hours in front of a fan so some of a eliments could dry a little. If it's melting now a won't do well later. It's back in the frige for now. Thinking about putting it in a ice crest tomorrow but I'm also thinking "what the point". Is there anyting I can do beside pray?

3 replies
andysings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysings Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 2:09am
post #2 of 4

ok so what's up 3 posts and no replys to them so I did pray and came with a solotion with my Battle of the BUL:GE. Im not as good as most of you but I worked just as hard  and determined to get this cake to the families graduation outting. I asked myself "Self how do you battle your bulge?" and the answer was "the samething my mom did Put a griddle on it. I used my fondant paddles to shore up my cake to make it look nice again and used a cake box I already had, recut it and  made a griddle and put it back into the frige. I went to the UPS store and bought a box as close to the measurements of my cake that they had. Tomorrow the cake with its griddle will go into the box with some kind of padding and then into the cooler.(it's going to be about 100 degrees) I figure if I intend to contin this as a hobby or businss (when I get good enought) i better learn how to think outside the box or into it.

AnnieZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieZ Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 2:33am
post #3 of 4

Im new to the whole cake decorating! I tried doing a fondant cake for the first time 2day i saw a bulge forming a little while after i put the fondant on there n b4 i new it my bc had all melted under my fondant!!! i ended up redoing the whole cake in just bc :/ but i anyway was just gonna tell you how gud this cake looks this cake looks its so nice n smooth i cant believe it only the 3rd fondant cake!! :D

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2013 , 2:48am
post #4 of 4

AThere's a loooooong thread on eliminating bulges. Cake decorating forum, titled "My newest trick."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%