Monster High Cake Help Pleaseee

Decorating By stacys cakes Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 12:15pm by Norasmom

stacys cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacys cakes Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 26

Hey everyone, my names Stacy and Im new to this cake decorating stuff, I have been asked to make a cake for a friends daughter who will be 9, Cake decorating is my hobby and I am a complete amature/novice compared to the many amazing cakes on this site, I aspire to be as good but as we all know practice makes perfect so im practising my butt off and hoping it pays off.

Sooo after a long winded introduction I am looking for a bit of guidence on makin this cake. Any ideas would be helpful and greatly appreciated as I have far too many floating around in my head which is quite hard to narrow down.

I will say my original idea is using a monster high doll and the cake tiers as its dress with fondant or modeling choc not sure which to use , but then I saw an amazing cake here with the doll sitting on the cake and now im questioning myself...

Thanks for taking the time to read this hopefully its understandable or else I will be quite embarassed lol

25 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 12:03am
post #2 of 26

AThere's a photo of one in my gallery. If you like it, I'll gladly give you a walk through. If you don't, I promise not to be offended.

It's a fairly simple cake.

The other design I sketched for her included diamonds on the side with little cherry blossoms in between each diamond.

stacys cakes Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 8:18am
post #3 of 26

Hey delicious desserts,

Thanks soooo much for getting back to me so quick, I do like yours alot didnt see it last night when I was looking though cake pics but then again it was late and wayyy past my bedtime lol but these cake ideas are consuming my sleep and overtaking my dreams (dont know if thats normal lol)

It would be great if you could walk me through it tho and absolutely greatly appreciated :) I look forward to hearing from you :)

DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:38am
post #4 of 26

AFirst, make the topper. It drives me nuts when people put the skewer or stick on the back. I like to put it in the middle so you don't see it. I rolled a 70/30 mix of satin ice gumpaste & fondarific black. You can use your favorite. If using other than fondarific, it can be 50/50.

I roll it about 1/4" thick twice as long as I need. Place the template on top to make sure it fits. Out the skewer on top of the rolled gumpaste about 1/4" down from where top will be. Press a bit so 1/2 of skewer is embedded. Fold over top & press. Cut the template, turn over to smooth the sides, set aside.

Using white fondant & gumpaste, cut the skull & place on the black background. Do the se with the eyes.

I like to color my fondant a few days in advance so it has time to set. I prefer to mix colored fondant. For the pink, I used red & white fondarific. I added a touch of Americolor electric pink. For the blue, blue and white fondarific.

The thinly now for the topper was made with fondant about 4 days in advance and let to dry. Use gumpaste if you need it fast.

Baby is awake so ill write the rest later.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 26

ATried to edit but apparently I don't have permission.

"The thinly now" should be the tiny bow.

I made the large bow with a fondant/gumpaste mix.

You'll need a tape measure to get the exact circumference of your cake. I made my stripes about 2" apart. Adjust so that you get even stripes around the side.

I made a template with some card stock. I used publisher to make a sheet of diamonds the size I wanted on the cake the. Cut the angle I wanted. Using the wheel tool, I traced the angel all the way around the cake.

I again used the tape measure to see how long each stripe needed to be. I rolled out the black fondant to 1/8" thickness and cut 1". I placed these under some wrap while I cut the blue so it didn't get too dry. I cut the blue strips 1/2". Then, I put the blue on top of the black.

Now this part sounds simple but it takes a bit of finesse. Place the stripes along the angled lines. Use sharp scissors to cut the angle at the too of the cake. You want a very nice sharp cut. You can use your finger to smooth it a bit. I use the wheel tool to cut the bottom. Work all goin the same direction at first.

The next part takes lots of manipulation. You'll need to cut different sizes. I promise it won't matter. It'll look just like mine. Start at the top. Those matter most.

The bottom band is 3/4".

Hope all that helps. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

JM Cake Craft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JM Cake Craft Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 26

Hi there,

I did a Monster High cake with the Dracula character sitting on a coffin shaped cake! There's a pic in my gallery. Quite easy to make a rectangle cake the cut it into a coffin shape. Cover it in black fondant, then cut a pink fondant shape for the top. Pipe on some dots/studs, or just roll little balls of fondant and stick them on. I piped details round the sides, youcould also roll little fondant 'sausages' and roll them into scroll shapes and stick them on. Pipe a few spiderwebs, paint a bit of edible siver paint on them, voila! I hand modelled the figure but you could easily just sit a doll on top. Hope this gives you a few ideas! Have fun and good luck :)

stacys cakes Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 26

Delicious desserts, Thank you soo much for all your guidance in this the cake, It is not to be made untill july but i like to know what im doing and how i will do it and practice a lil bit,

I honestly cant tell you how grateful i am for your help here. Hopefully it will turn out great :)

stacys cakes Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 26

Hey JM Cake Craft, I went lookin for your cake pic but for some reason i cannot find it maybe im doing something wrong im still slowlyyy getting used to this site lol, Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thread and post your advice, I was worried no one would post lol, your cakes by the way are amazing as are Delicious desserts!

bighand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bighand Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 26

Hi Stacey cakes Im from Ireland too I have a monster high cake in my pics too,if you want to take a look it might give you some ideas

stacys cakes Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 26

Heyy bighand, thanks so much :) your cakes are amazing!! where in Ireland are ya?

JM Cake Craft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JM Cake Craft Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 26

OOPS!! I checked and couldn't see it either.... so I've uploaded it for you now! It's hopefully in my gallery now too :/ I'm  a newbie still getting used to this site too :) :) :)

Monster High Draculaura Birthday cake. Coffin shaped cake. Figure hand modelled in fondant and modelling paste then hand painted. All decorations edible, including figure, bat, lettering, skull etc.

bighand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bighand Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 26

Hi Stacycakes Im in Northern Ireland in a village caled Waringstown near Lurgan Co Armagh.Were are you from?

l

AllaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllaMarie Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 2:14am
post #13 of 26

AI have 2 that I have yet added to my album. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3026008/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3026005/width/200/height/400[/IMG] This one was all buttercream which I normally do not do. I prefer fondany covered. But its simple.

stacys cakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 9:33am
post #14 of 26

Hey JM Cake Craft, thanks so much for that it looks great :) thanks for the advice :)

stacys cakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 9:35am
post #15 of 26

Hey bighand,  I'm in Cork :)  

stacys cakes Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 9:37am
post #16 of 26

Hey AllaMarie, your cakes are great thanks so much for posting :))

taraedgington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taraedgington Posted 9 Jun 2013 , 1:18am
post #17 of 26

This is exactly the thread I needed, as I am making a monster high cake as well. So thank you all!! thumbs_up.gif You mentioned using a template for the skull, where do I get one, or how do I make my own? This is the part of cake decorating that gets me the most...LOL. I figured there was some secret computer program people were using to get all the awesome details and designs on the cakes. There is NO WAY I could free hand anything like it. Im far from an artist. Any and all help is appreciated. I cant wait to see your monster high cake! icon_biggrin.gif

stacys cakes Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 8:56am
post #18 of 26

Hey taraedgington, good luck with your cake I think for the template you could print it off from your computer once you have sized it up to what you need, I have heard that you could buy special printer edible ink and edible paper to use in a printer but its quite expensive and you would need a printer that has not been used as a normal printer as the ink would be compromised and inedible, I have also read you could print out your desired picture and on the back using a food pen trace over it and press against area you would like the transfer then go ahead and fill in any gaps free hand on top of the tracing. I have not tried either of these methods and I will try the tracing one soon and let you know how it goes.

Good Luck with your cake!!!! be sure to post it up so I can have a look, cant wait to see it :)) 

Mine isn't due till sometime in July but needed help fine tuning my ideas as I had to many LOL

DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 12:07pm
post #19 of 26

A

Original message sent by taraedgington

This is exactly the thread I needed, as I am making a monster high cake as well. So thank you all!! ;-D  You mentioned using a template for the skull, where do I get one, or how do I make my own? This is the part of cake decorating that gets me the most...LOL. I figured there was some secret computer program people were using to get all the awesome details and designs on the cakes. There is NO WAY I could free hand anything like it. Im far from an artist. Any and all help is appreciated. I cant wait to see your monster high cake! :D

I googled monster high logo. Once I found a good clean image of the skull, I copy image. Then paste it into a new publisher or word document. I prefer publisher because I can see exactly how big the image is. Size as needed & print on card stock.

taraedgington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taraedgington Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 1:56am
post #20 of 26

AThanks again for all the help. I think my cake turned out alright.

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 4:17am
post #21 of 26

I'm not sure if you're all set in your design yet, so here's a cake I did last year. GL with yours and if you need and help...we're here for you. Don't forget to post the pics.

stacys cakes Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 8:45am
post #22 of 26

This is pretty much like the cake i want to make it looks great :) I have the date finally for the cake so i should have it up by the 13th july, hopefully it turns out well lol thanks for posting :)

stacys cakes Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 8:47am
post #23 of 26

your cake cake turned out really well taraedgington :) well done

stacys cakes Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:01am
post #24 of 26

hey everyone, I finally did the cake and im just gona upload a pic, turned out better than i expected :) thanks for all the advice from each of you i really appreciated it

cake design Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake design Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 9:14am
post #25 of 26

A

Original message sent by JM Cake Craft

OOPS!! I checked and couldn't see it either.... so I've uploaded it for you now! It's hopefully in my gallery now too :/ I'm  a newbie still getting used to this site too :) :) :)

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3025527/]Monster High Draculaura Birthday cake. Coffin shaped cake. Figure hand modelled in fondant and modelling paste then hand painted. All decorations edible, including figure, bat, lettering, skull etc. [/URL]

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 12:15pm
post #26 of 26

Mu avatar is a monster high doll.  Not an exact replica, but the little girl liked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%