Why Baking Soda In Lemon / Orange Cake Recipes???

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 1 Jun 2013 , 1:29am by auzzi

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 31 May 2013 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 3

Hello

I was researching some lemon and orange cake recipes online and I realised that most of the scratch recipes used a combination of baking power and baking soda.

I did some additional research and basically found out that the baking soda neutralises the acidic ingredients but I am still clueless as to why the baking soda is needed to "neutralise the acid".  If I don't add the baking soda to the recipe, what would happen to the cake?  Would it go flat? 

I typically use a 1-2-3-4 cake recipe that uses only baking powder and would love to omit the baking soda and use only baking powder. Has anyone had any success with a lemon/orange cake recipe that uses only baking powder?

Would love to hear some feedback on this...

Stacey

2 replies
noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 12:53am
post #2 of 3

Hi there,

Baking soda doesn't just neutralise acid.  In baking its purpose is as a leavening agent, to make things rise.  Technically speaking, it reacts with acidic components in batters, releasing carbon dioxide, which causes expansion of the batter and forms the characteristic texture and grain in pancakes, cakes, quick breads, soda bread, and other baked foods.

If you just omit it from a recipe with calls for baking soda, you will likely find the cake won't rise and won't have a cakey texture.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 1:29am
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%