Please Help Not Sure About Placing Dowels

Decorating By sam83 Updated 30 May 2013 , 10:41pm by 105sruss

sam83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sam83 Posted 29 May 2013 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 6

AHi Can someone please help. I was asked to make a birthday cake for a very good friend of mine. However when I agreed I didn't realise she wanted a fruit cake. My question is, I have marzipanned the cake 3 days ago and am now going to ice the cake using ready to roll icing. The cake is 2 tier (both fruit) and not due till a weeks time. When I ice the bottom tier do I insert the dowels then or do I need to let the icing set before inserting the dowels.

Thank you in advance for the help.

5 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 6

This is interesting to me, since the only fruit cake I have seen is hard as a rock, I would not have thought it would need dowels. Eagerly awaiting responses.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 29 May 2013 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 6

You can do either. RTR icing doesn't set hard enough that you won't be able to get dowels in later, but you can do it now if you like.

sam83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sam83 Posted 29 May 2013 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 6

AThank you so much for your advise. Think I will ice it and leave for a day or so then place the dowels. Hope you don't mind but another quick question (so sorry but I am a complete newbie when it comes to cake decorating) do I leave the iced fruit cake in a cake box till I deliver it? And I am making marzipan roses, are they OK to be stored in an air tight container until I'm ready to use them.

Sorry for so many questions just really worried about making this birthday cake.

Thanks again.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 May 2013 , 10:24am
post #5 of 6

I have no experience with marzipan, but other flowers will stay soft in an airtight container, whereas if left out to dry, they'll hold up better.

Cake in the cake box should be fine.

105sruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
105sruss Posted 30 May 2013 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 6

Hi,

Here in the UK rich fruit cake has always been traditional for wedding cakes. I am not familiar with the term RTR but guess that it means ready to roll?? I always use marzipan and royal icing as I consider fondant a poor second. It doesn't taste good and doesn't keep as well. The marzipan should always be left to dry to a crust before icing as it is likely to seep oil through the icing. Likewise the icing should also be left in the air to dry. I also use 4 dowel rods for support because I prefer royal icing not to be rock hard and add glycerine to it, making it melt in the mouth. A royal iced fruit cake will keep almost indefinitely and can happily be frozen. If not frozen you run the risk of mould forming between the marzipan and the cake where apricot glaze is used to stick the two together. If you are only keeping it for a week or two before it is used then leave it so that the air can circulate it and dry the icing properly. Air tight containers and sometimes cardboard boxes tend to keep the icing soft therefore running the risk of collapse. The same applies to marzipan flowers and ornaments, all need to dry properly so that they hold their shape. Cover with a net umbrella to keep insects out and if you think that dust is likely to be a problem just drape a piece of muslin over the umbrella, that way the air can still circulate. If using fondant icing dowels can be put in anytime, with royal icing I would just let a crust form and then do it because if you let it dry too much you could crack it. It's great to hear of fruit cake being used and I pray for the day that the trend for the easy option of fondant icing becomes outdated and we get back to real icing again. As far as I'm concerned the place for fondant or sugar paste is for decorations, flowers etc and kids' birthday cakes I want to see the return of proper piping and icing. Good on you girl for making a start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%