Help!! Please Cookies Coming Out Flat

Baking By ChristineJ Updated 7 Jun 2013 , 6:13am by Greektina

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 28 May 2013 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 12

Please someone help.  Every time I make any sort of chocolate chip or m & m's, they come out flat as a board.  Everything is fresh. I use unsalted butter and sometimes reg. butter.  Could that be a reason? Is there a margarine that I could use just for baking?Anything and everyones output is important. Thank you. I want round nice looking cookies.

11 replies
kgraham22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgraham22 Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 12

Try using half butter/half shortening, instead of all butter.  Margarine will give you the same problem as butter.  Depending how soft or chewy you want them to be, consider using all shortening (butter flavor), and maybe some butter extract if you want that buttery taste.  It's always worked for me.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 May 2013 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 12

I use all butter in mine and they don't do that. I think your ratios are off. I'm no expert in these things - I'm sure someone who knows all about it will help you out. Can you post the recipe you're using?

I use this one, and it always turns out like in the picture:

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2007/11/chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe_24.html

It's in metric, sorry if you're in the US.

Gigi1929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gigi1929 Posted 28 May 2013 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 12

I use all butter as well and depending on how I want my cookies to look, I actually press my dough down a little to flatten them.  What is the recipe you are using?  Maybe you have too much butter?  The only other thing I can think to do, is put it in the fridge for awhile until it's very cold and then bake?

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 29 May 2013 , 12:38am
post #5 of 12

Go the half shortening half butter method and you MUST chill the dough at least 6 hours, overnight is better.  Put chilled dough on cold pan.  Warm pans, all butter and too fresh chocolate chip dough are what makes it flatten.  However that's how my mom made them so for myself I sort of like it that way but to sell to others I want them firmer.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:05am
post #6 of 12

The fat is butter melts before the starches in the flour gelatinize.  That's a fancy way of saying your cookies have nothing to hold them up.  That what the starch in the flour does.  Veg shortening has a higher melting temp than butter, so the starches have a chance to "set" (gelatinize) and give the cookie structure.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 May 2013 , 10:50am
post #7 of 12

And try adding more flour. Your dough should be stiff.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 29 May 2013 , 11:54am
post #8 of 12

Here is recipe that we use...

1.25 cups AP flour

0.5 tsp salt

0.5 tsp baking soda

7 tbsp butter

0.25 cup white sugar

0.25 cup brown sugar

1 room temp egg

1 tbspn vanilla

3 tbspn sour cream 

0.75 cup semi sweet chips

0.75 cup milk chocolate chips

The dough is very stiff... especially after you leave it in the fridge for three hours... the cookie dough we scoop out in little balls and press them down slightly... they do not spread... like the above poster said, place cold dough on cold cookie sheet... I put mine on parchment... bake at 350F for about 15 minutes...

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 May 2013 , 11:56am
post #9 of 12

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ this will help and still leave you with all butter cookies.  The recipes fall a little short in the flour department.  The batter should be pretty stiff.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAtKT 

The dough is very stiff... especially after you leave it in the fridge for three hours...

The dough should be stiff when first making the recipe. Dough with butter will be stiff when refrigerated. Please try adding more flour.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 30 May 2013 , 12:21am
post #11 of 12

I spent over 6 months perfecting the cookie recipe. You need flour! You don't have to half and half. That works, but I don't think it tastes as good as straight butter.

You will eventually get the hang of cookie making, if you do it enough. Its temper mental kinda like butter cream with temperature in your house and so forth. I always always do a single tester cookie too that way you don't waist your dough. This way you can see if you need just a tbs more of flour. You can't always count on the flour amount to be exact every time. Sometimes you need a bit more flour.

Also using a cookie scoop helps it stay cool so the warmth of you hands are warming the dough too much.

Greektina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Greektina Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 6:13am
post #12 of 12

I am new to cookie making. I used Signature Sweet Shoppe Youtube as my base and worked from there. It is a marvelous cookie. I found if I didn't get them cold into the oven they spread thin. It wasn't the butter or anything else. It is chilling the cookie before you bake it. Goodluck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%