Help!!!! Stacking Layers.... Without Boards.

Decorating By Chrissys Updated 27 May 2013 , 10:50pm by liz at sugar

Chrissys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrissys Posted 27 May 2013 , 7:54am
post #1 of 12

ASo my little cousin is having her sweet 16... but its not all princess and girly. She wants a 3d BMO cake from a cartoon called adventure time, :/ ?, ive never seen a show but off of this picture I have an idea. About 5 or 6 layers high...but, :( , what worries me is she want the layers without any boards in between..so not tiers. Any advice on how I should go about this? Dowel rods? Like cake "nails" or something?? Please help me. Thanks. :)

11 replies
didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 27 May 2013 , 9:57am
post #2 of 12

Ayou will still need some sort of plate or board (same size as the cake so you don't see it) to support the weight of the cake with the dowel. personally l sps system and would use that for support.

cakeyzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyzi Posted 27 May 2013 , 9:59am
post #3 of 12

AYou have to use boards,not possible otherwise.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 27 May 2013 , 10:02am
post #4 of 12

well, how high is your layers going to be? The safest way is to dowel every 4", that is with boards and dowels. I have gone up to 6" without supports, but even that can be risky. Its useless to create this awesome cake without supports and then it collapses on you.

Dowels without boards will be absolutely useless, the combination ensures that the bottom cakes doesnt sag or collapse under the weight from the cakes + deco above.

Sometimes you have to tell the clients  to accept what MUST be done to give them a great stable cake, and not let them tell you what they want

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2013 , 11:04am
post #5 of 12

ADitto al of the above.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 27 May 2013 , 11:23am
post #6 of 12

AThe customer (in this case your cousin) does not get to tell you how to do your job (or hobby). Your cousin doesn't know how to make cakes; that's why she's asking you to do it. I'm not trying to come off as harsh but if you know it needs a support system, use one.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2013 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 12

again, ditto.

Chrissys Posted 27 May 2013 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 12

AWith icing in between all layers and boards she is worried about cutting it. As much as ive tried explaining the situation to her. Younger cousins and siblings...grr lol

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 27 May 2013 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 12

Explain to her she can just lift the top cake off, and there will be no problem cutting either tier.  Does she think she has to keep it stacked to cut?

Liz

Chrissys Posted 27 May 2013 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 12

AShe doesnt want it in tiers. If I can attach the picture she found and wants ill show it. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3019109/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

liz at sugar Posted 27 May 2013 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 12

Yes, that is a double barrel cake, which is like two tiers of the same diameter, stacked on top of each other.

Liz

liz at sugar Posted 27 May 2013 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 12

Does she want to serve each guest a 6" or 7" tall piece of cake??

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%