Can Anyone Help With Edible Printer Questions?

Decorating By Toribean Updated 28 May 2013 , 3:31am by auntginn

Toribean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toribean Posted 26 May 2013 , 2:08am
post #1 of 11

AI everyone, I am a newbie looking into edible printers and see that Canon is the way to go. I'm torn over getting an older model printer vs a newer model. how often do they upgrade the models where you can continue to order the edible ink? I'm looking to do cookies/cupcakes with my daughter who has low muscle tone and loves baking. she is special needs and this is a a,wonderful way for us to work together. We make them for all occasions for family, gifts for teachers,, therapists Etc... My sister also makes cakes for charity so I can do images for her as well. I'm worried about making an investment only to find that in a few months to a year the printer has been discontinued and the inks are difficult to find.

Thanks for having me in this group and for any help :)

10 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 26 May 2013 , 6:17am
post #2 of 11

Hi Toribean and welcome to CC.  I don't think your going to have to worry about the Canon printer like you imagine.

I have been printing edible sheets for about 12 years now.  What I did from day one is buy a Canon priner that was on sale.  Then bought new empty cartridges from ebay and amazon.  I buy the refill edible ink bottles and just fill my own cartridges.  Not hard to do at all.  

There are 2 very good companies to work with.  If you use either one of these you can't go wrong.  #1 https://www.kopykake.com   and #2 https://www.icingimages.com

You will have other questions, feel free to ask for ask.  both companies have customer support as well.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 11

I have the Cannon MG5200 for about a year.  It's great!  I don't use it weekly and sometimes I have a month between uses....I never have a problem with the heads getting clogged.  It scans and it copies.  

Toribean Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 11

Aaunt Finn - thank you so much! I feel better about getting one now. one other question, if I buy the refill edible ink bottles from Amazon, do I still need to make sure they are compatible with my printer or are they universal to use in any Canon printer?

Toribean Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 11

ASorry - I meant the tans not the bottles. Having a hard time finding empty ones

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 11

AMy favorite source for edible printing is Icing Images. They are also a member on this forum & are extremely helpful with trouble shooting.

Toribean Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 11

AUgh, tanks not tags. do I need to get the empty tanks specific for my printer or universal

Toribean Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 11

AI notice that the Canon mg printers that Icing Images has ink for are discontinued printers

Tasty FotoArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tasty FotoArt Posted 27 May 2013 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 11

Don't worry about finding edible ink.  We stock edible ink for Canon printers that are nearly 15 years old.  We do not get a lot of orders for the oldest ones, but some loyal customers need them from time to time, so we keep them.  For the newer models all we sell are refillable ink cartridges and, of course, refill ink.

Wes

tastyfotoart.com

Toribean Posted 28 May 2013 , 12:54am
post #10 of 11

AThank you!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:31am
post #11 of 11

It just needs to be compatible to your printer.  They make different sizes, so get the one that matches your printers cartridges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%