How Much To Charge?

Decorating By llee815 Updated 23 May 2013 , 2:24am by llee815

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 22 May 2013 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! The country club my husband works at asked me to make a cake for them. I normally only make cakes for family. They will buy all the ingredients needed and I get to use their kitchen and supplies. They want a layered square chocolate cake 3x3 FEET, chocolate whipped cream-type icing (I will use chocolate SMBC), chocolate curls for the edges, and chocolate curls arranged in a floral arrangement in the middle. How much do you think I should charge for labor? I'm at a total loss. TIA!

6 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 22 May 2013 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 7

How much to charge?  A lot.

Actually, I would just figure an hourly rate and record your time.  It won't be any different than them paying other kitchen prep wages.

You will be making 9 12" x 12" cakes (i'm guessing) to get your 3 foot by 3 foot square.  Do they have pans, or do you?

Test their oven so you don't overbake.

Liz

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 May 2013 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 7

A3'x3' is the equivalent of six half-sheet (12"x18") cakes. Take how long it takes to make a half-sheet cake, multiply by 6, and add time for the floral arrangement, then multiply by a fair hourly wage (usually in the $10-20 range depending on where you are).

llee815 Posted 22 May 2013 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 7

I know I need to make 6 12x18". I don't know how big their kitchen is and how many cakes I can bake at once. My biggest issue will probably be trying to figure out how to make a flower arrangement out of chocolate curls. Thank you for your input!

Leslie

psgodusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psgodusa Posted 22 May 2013 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 7

AFind out from your local bakeries how much they charge for single full sheet cake with basic decorations. Then according to that you can price yours and multiply by 6 and add up your labor charges like others have suggested. You have to take into consideration that you are using their material and won't need to buy your own ingredients. The Wegmans near me charges $75 to 80 for a full sheet size cake based on the decoration.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:48am
post #6 of 7

AWhere did they get this idea? A flower arrangement made out of chocolate curls is kind of obscure and I don't see how that would work. You could use modeling chocolate for the arrangement.

llee815 Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:24am
post #7 of 7

We don't have many bakeries where I live. For half a sheet cake it would be $28 with chocolate whipped cream icing. They've never heard of SBMC.
@AnnieCahill, I'm not sure where they got the chocolate curl flower arrangement from. I've never heard or seen anyone do that before. My husband told me they wanted a chocolate curl border and the chocolate curl flower arrangement in the middle. I'll be personally talking with the chef tomorrow if they can get the cake cleared through the committee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%