Home Bakery Starting.... Need Help!

Decorating By simplysweetT Updated 20 May 2013 , 5:37am by southconft

simplysweetT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetT Posted 19 May 2013 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 4

AHi everyone! I'm new here to CC and new to the business aspect of this venture in general. I live in southwest PA and would like to start a home bakery business. I've been unofficially baking for years and have found (since losing my job in Jan.) I have a passion for this. However, I am completely lost as to the steps I need to take to be a legal business. I've googled a lot and I get no specific information. I started with filling out the dept of agriculture form and the pa sales tax form. I've contacted my local zoning board to make sure I can do this.... That's about it. Idk if I need a general business license, a home occupation permit, a health permit, a mercantile license, do I need to contact the local dept of health? Idk how to register my DBA name, set up insurance, if I should be an llc or a sole proprietorship, if I need an EIN? And do I need a detailed business plan to send in with my dept of agriculture form or should I just send in the answers to the 8-9 questions listed? I am so lost.... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! TIA!

3 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetT Posted 19 May 2013 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 4

AThank you! That helped sooo much!

southconft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southconft Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:37am
post #4 of 4

ARight here with you. Been baking for family and bday cakes of all kinds for years..I live in good old mississippi. Laws vary I looked at the link above, try looking in to cottage laws...if your state has them we are passing a new one now I'm happy it is in play july. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%