Covered Cake Is Lumpy! Help?

Decorating By skyy815 Updated 17 May 2013 , 6:49pm by skyy815

skyy815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skyy815 Posted 16 May 2013 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

so i've only covered cakes a few times and each time its come out a bit lumpy! this was the second time covering in mmf and first on a hex cake. there isnt much icing under the mmf and i tried to rub it all out but i couldnt get it all. any advice on what a can do to make these cake look better??

Thanks!!

6 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 16 May 2013 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

AThe finish of your fondant is often as good as what's under it. So if your foundation is not so great (soft, lumpy) then your fondant will only magnify the faults.

What type of buttercream do you use under your fondant? What smoothing method do you use on your buttercream? Is it firm when you apply the fondant? Do you use a fondant smoother?

skyy815 Posted 16 May 2013 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 7

i use 1 c high ratio shortening, 1/2 c butter, flavors, 1 T merangue powder, and water. the first cake i covered was dry but this time i had to redo it this morning so it wasnt. the time i used wilton fondant to cover my mario kart cake, it wasnt that bad.  could it be just that the icing wasnt dry? i used the same mmf on my floral cake and that didnt look that bad either.  i do use a fondant smoother. and I used wax paper to smooth.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 May 2013 , 5:43am
post #4 of 7

AI'm not really familiar with working with American BC (I use SMBC), so hopefully someone who uses American BC will chime in.

Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 17 May 2013 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 7

when you apply the thin layer of crumb coat, do you apply it smooth and then let it crust? Once its crusted, apply another layer of BC and make sure that's as smooth as you can get it. I then stick it in the fridge till it crusts a little then go over it with a spatula dipped in warm water (excess water shaken off) and smooth it out again. during this step, im not really taking off any BC, just smoothing it out, perfecting the edges as best as I can. Then you are good to place your fondant over it. HTH.

I agree with vgcea, if your foundation is not good then your fondant wont be either. Fondant is not forgiving and shows everything.. kind of like spandex icon_biggrin.gif

bakerfolife2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfolife2 Posted 17 May 2013 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 7

When you apply a thin coat use an icing bag so you put just enough icing on not to cake more crumbles but not enough to make the cake a disaster...this has happened to me a few times. make sure you put the cake in the fridge before you put the next later on

skyy815 Posted 17 May 2013 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone! i'll have to remember to double layer the BC before putting the fondant on. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%