What?! Hershey's Beat Scharffen Berger?!!

Decorating By vgcea Updated 19 Jan 2014 , 9:12am by darkchocolate

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 20 May 2013 , 6:05am
post #31 of 42

AI hate when that happens. Why not keep the quality rather than messing with a good thing?

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:35pm
post #32 of 42

So does that mean it's not as good as it used to be?  Because if it isn't, I'm not going to waste the extra money buying it.  It's price is a lot higher than the others.

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:52pm
post #33 of 42

A

Original message sent by FromScratchSF

Bread flour? That's interesting. Looks like there is so much fat from all that chocolate plus they want to suspend ganache in the middle they try and compensate by having the extra gluten. Interesting recipe!

I have a confession to make - actually it's more like I'm going to tell you my secret - I use bread flower in EVERYTHING I make. I can't describe what it does to my cookies, they are always so light, fluffy and awesome. And it does seem to make my cakes just a little more dense which is perfect for carving and stacking. My fondant never sags and weighs down my cakes. I happened upon this trick when years ago I dated a man who owned a local take and bake pizza shop. He made the best chocolate chip cookie batter I have ever had (and I know a great cookie when I see one). So he wouldn't tell me the secret ingredient, wouldn't explain why the color dough was so different...fortunately I'm a smarty pants and realized that he probably wasn't buying a seperate flour to make the cookies with and I knew for a fact he used bread flour to make pizza. So I bought a pack and tried it out in my cookie recipe. Tada. They were awesome. The rest is history and now I buy bread flour in bulk at SAMs.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 20 May 2013 , 4:00pm
post #34 of 42

Bread flower?

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:12pm
post #35 of 42

Adding to the bread flour tangent, it also is suggested as a substitute for AP in pate a choux (cream puffs).  Supposed to end up with a more tender puff, but I haven't tried it yet.

Liz

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 20 May 2013 , 7:35pm
post #36 of 42

A

Original message sent by Godot

Bread flower?

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3012337/] [/URL]

What a beautiful loaf of bread. Did you make that?! I've been on Pinterest this weekend looking up various bread recipes that are idiot proof so I can try my hand at it in my spare time this week.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 20 May 2013 , 8:54pm
post #37 of 42

I loathe Hershey's to eat and I stopped eating milk chocolate years ago, I got a taste for the bitter stuff and never went back. I have used Droste and Ghiradelli cocoas and do not like them, the Droste was very dry and the Ghiradelli had little flavor. I like the Special Dark (Hershey's) very much, color is great and the taste hasn't failed me with cakes. Just my opinion, though.

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:26pm
post #38 of 42

A

Original message sent by Godot

Bread flower?

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3012337/] [/URL]

Haha love it!

LeslieBruckman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeslieBruckman Posted 23 May 2013 , 6:50pm
post #39 of 42

I use SaCo... anyone else ever heard of it? http://sacofoods.com/products/view/premium-cocoa
It's a blend of dutched and regular cocoas and tastes delicious. All of my customers love the taste... it comes out halfway between a milk chocolate cake and a dark chocolate cake in color. It's a really good price and goes on sale at my local Meijer store. So, I always stock up. I also like it because it's produced gluten free... I make a lot of gluten free goodies to sell at the Farmer's Market along with our regular goods.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 12:52am
post #40 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

We use Hershey Special Dark cocoa powder (mix of regular and dutch process) and it works very well.

Do you use baking powder or baking soda when using the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa? I know (from what I have read) that Dutch Cocoa doesn't react with baking soda, so most all recipes use baking powder.  I just bought some Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and now I am not sure which leavening agent to use, since it is a combination of regular and Dutch cocoa.

Thanks for any help/insight anyone can give me.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 1:01am
post #41 of 42

A

Original message sent by darkchocolate

Do you use baking powder or baking soda when using the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa? I know (from what I have read) that Dutch Cocoa doesn't react with baking soda, so most all recipes use baking powder.  I just bought some Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and now I am not sure which leavening agent to use, since it is a combination of regular and Dutch cocoa.

It depends on the recipe. As you mentioned, it's a blend of regular and dutch so the Special Dark is more acidic than 100% dutch, but less acidic than 100% regular. Baking soda is activated by acidity, so if you have other sources of acidity in the recipe you should be OK, otherwise you'll probably need to sub some of the baking soda with baking powder (which is just baking soda + acid).

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 9:12am
post #42 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

It depends on the recipe. As you mentioned, it's a blend of regular and dutch so the Special Dark is more acidic than 100% dutch, but less acidic than 100% regular. Baking soda is activated by acidity, so if you have other sources of acidity in the recipe you should be OK, otherwise you'll probably need to sub some of the baking soda with baking powder (which is just baking soda + acid).

Thank you, Jason!  Would the substitutions be equal amounts? For instance, if the recipe called for 1 tsp. baking soda, I would use 1/2 tsp. each of baking soda and baking powder?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%