Does Anyone Know How To Construct This?

Decorating By nancylee61 Updated 5 Jun 2013 , 9:05pm by RJHRN

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 10 May 2013 , 7:43am
post #1 of 16

AHi all, My niece wants something like this for her engagement party! I have no idea how the tiers are held together - do I need that back part to somehow sit them on? I may just ask her to find something else! Thank you! Nancy[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3003641/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

15 replies
baking-mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking-mama Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:00am
post #2 of 16

AWow, I have no idea but if you find out how.. Please tell us all. That's amazing :)

LisaD68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaD68 Posted 10 May 2013 , 9:25am
post #3 of 16

cakestackers.com has a stacking system for sale.  Take a look at their website.  It should give you a few ideas.  

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 10 May 2013 , 10:05am
post #4 of 16

From what I can tell from the photo, they don't overlap the edge at all - they are just placed offset to the edge, in a slight spiral.  So you wouldn't need any support over what you would use for a normal cake with the tiers centred.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 May 2013 , 10:07am
post #5 of 16

ASeems like you'd just put your straws/dowels in the side of the cake that will be covered by the one above it, and then your center dowl would go all the way through the center of the complete cake, so it would be off center on each tier but would still go through them all and keep them connected.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 10 May 2013 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 16

OMG! that is a fantastic design.   That beginning bottom cake must be huge.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 10 May 2013 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 16

AI think the bottom layers may not be circles. Paisleys maybe?

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 10 May 2013 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 16

AThank you! I knew you all would know how to do this! Nancy

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 May 2013 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 16

I agree with the others, It is a beautiful cake.

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 11:43am
post #10 of 16

Does anyone have any ideas how to construct the taller pieces behinf the topper and to the side of the cake.  I need to make this cake next month and I am stuck at the moment!

TIA

auntginn Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 16

Looks to me like they are fondant or gumpaste pieces cut into shape. The darker ones look like they are a layer of white with a layer of black on top and they dusted. If you look at the inside of the stairs and compare them, they have the same imprint, so the person probably had some sort of mat to use.  Or created a template??

audreygb Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 16

AThanks that's what I thought but how would you make them stand up, that's what I was struggling with the most

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 16

ASorry don't have anything to help with construction, but have to agree it is a beautiful cake. I was thinking if she wants this for her engagement cake, just imagine what she'll want for her wedding cake! Would take a lot to top that. :)

auntginn Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 16

One of 2 ways,  #1 Use plastic cake dowels, they come in various lengths or buy some pvc piping from your local hardware store.  They also come in various widths.  Glue with white chocolate the pieces around them to create that box or square look, attaching each piece at its height needed.

#2, Cut foam core to the shape and height, glue on the fondant pieces and attache to the cake or back of the stairs.

I would use the first method.

audreygb Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 16

AThank you aunt ginn I'm going to try your second suggestion will let you know how I fair!

RJHRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RJHRN Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 16

AThe cakes are just off set to one side and towards the back of each tier. No special construction needed that I can see. Love the look, have not seen this style before. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%