Clay Gun????

Decorating By kden3980 Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 5:10pm by RoseCitySugarcraft

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! icon_biggrin.gif I was just wondering if it is possible to use a clay gun to get the effect of hair on a Fondant or gumpaste "person?" I know that they sell the Sugarcraft Guns, but found that a clay gun is cheaper. I want it to be food safe, and I don't see a problem with it as long as it it used just for gumpaste or fondant. Any info would be appreciated, thanks so much!

~Kara~

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Kara,

I know everyone is gonna laugh but I went out and bought a new Playdoh set with extruder and the rails.Last night I used it to make hair on my fondant baby.It was so easy...only cost me about $6.00.I have the clay gun and it was so hard to use.

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 8

Good question. I'd like to know what's the difference between a clay gun and sugarpaste gun? Which one do CC'ers prefer to use? and which brand? I'm about to bite the bullet and buy one of these, but need some help in narrowing down the choices. Any advice out there?

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:06am
post #4 of 8

Most folks seem to like the red and black sugarcraft klay gun... spelled that way.... It's about $35 and has discs... I do hear that others are difficult to use.... I don't have one.... "yet" icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:19am
post #6 of 8

KiddieKakes,

Nobody here is going to laugh about your extruder, especially we members who have been here a while. I would bet at least 10% of us already have one. There have been a few postings since I became a member, regarding the use of this device, and it has been noticed on the shelf of Ace of Cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:51am
post #7 of 8

I have actualy seen a demonstration with a play dough machine and all the experienced ladies scoffed at using one until they saw just what you can use it for and how much easier it makes things. I have had both a clay gun and now have a sugar gun. Truthfully I find the sugar gun is better but only because I feel it is easier than the clay gun to use as you can squeeze the sugar gun and you have to push the clay gun. I also have trouble with my hand which might give you an indication as to why I prefer the sugar gun. I will also be getting a play dough set when I get the chance. Thats my 2 bobs worth.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 8

I just made my first sugarpaste figures for a wedding cake topper. I didn't have the funds for the sugarcraft gun, so, with enough time to experiment, I tried the clay gun from Michaels. I'm SO glad I did!

It was so easy to use, less expensive, and everyone was happy with the results!

Here's the happy couple!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%