So Confused Which Methods To Use!

Decorating By dewdee Updated 8 May 2013 , 6:42pm by JSKConfections

dewdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dewdee Posted 8 May 2013 , 10:29am
post #1 of 2

AGuys there is so much fantastic advice on here but now I'm completely at a loss as to what to do and which method to choose for my next cake! Can I tell you what I plan on doing and would the experts let me know if it'll give me the best chance of a great cake?!

So its a two tier Communion cake - bottom will be chocolate biscuit cake - 9x4 which should be straight forward enough. The second layer will be lemon cake with a curd filling and will be 6 x 5 tall. I need to have it all ready to go for Saturday week but won't be eaten until Sunday.

I'll make lemon curd on Tuesday. I was going to make the biscuit cake on Wednesday and cover in ganache on the same day and Refrigerate. Then I was going to bake the lemon cake Thursday morning and cool and torte it. Then do the ganache - use it to dam the layers, full with curd and then cover the whole lot in ganache on the same day. Leave over night and then on Friday cover both cakes in fondant, assemble, and put on premade small sugarpaste flowers down the Side with royal icing.

Have never used ganache before so not sure if this is the right way to do it. Does it need to settle like with butter cream?

What do you think? Sorry for the essay! Heat not an issue as I'm in Ireland and the weather is awful lol.

1 reply
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 8 May 2013 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 2

Ganache makes a nice firm outer shell on the cake under fondant, its great.  No need to refrigerate it...but if you do allow extra time for it to soften up a bit for easier cutting.   I would put flowers on just before delivery...wont' they go soft if royal goes in frig?  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%