1St Time 4 Tiered Cake Need Some Advice

Decorating By love 4 cakes Updated 7 May 2013 , 7:30am by leah_s

love 4 cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love 4 cakes Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:02am
post #1 of 4

4 tiers,  should the covered cardboard between tiers be doubled and also are dowels sufficient to hold the weight .  I'm doing 14" round  bottom  with 10", 8", and 6".  Also what suggestions does anyone have for the cardboard dividers not pulling the icing from the cake top under it?

3 replies
yarsha77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yarsha77 Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:29am
post #2 of 4

I recently did a 3 tier for the first time. think I did a 12" bottom then 2 x 10" middle & 6" top. For the top 2 cakes I purchased cake boards that were just bigger. so when I ganached & ice them the cake was flush with the edge of board. (if u know what I mean) Then after ganaching & icing all the cakes I measured the depth of each cake & got my hubby to cut me some stainless pieces of tube & inserted them in cake. I had to transport cake 3hrs drive away so I sat them all flat in box, then when I got to wedding I put them together. just sat them straight ontop of each other. then put a last piece of ribbon rnd the bottom of each cake to make sure u couldn't c the edge of boards. Hope this helps. Also to make them easier to stack make ur rods approx 1 to 2 mls longer than needed, so theres a slight gap between cakes as it makes it easier to get them ontop of each other without leaving big dints from ur fingers. (I think dowel will work fine just not sure about cardboard unless its reasonable thick as ive never used cardboard im not sure but I think it would soften under preasure. Heres a pick of my first 3 tiered cake I made.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 May 2013 , 6:10am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by love 4 cakes 

Also what suggestions does anyone have for the cardboard dividers not pulling the icing from the cake top under it?

Use powdered sugar or waxed paper.

Dowels and single cardboards are fine...

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2013 , 7:30am
post #4 of 4

ASPS for support is even better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%